Gravitational force and constants

In summary, three identical masses of 570 kg each are placed on the x axis, with one mass at -10.0 cm, one at the origin, and one at 43.0 cm. The magnitude of the net gravitational force on the mass at the origin due to the other two masses can be found using the equation F=G(m1m2/R^2), with F1-F2 representing the net force. After applying this equation and taking the gravitational constant to be G = 6.67×10−11 N * m^2/kg^2, the result is a small number, indicating a weak gravitational force. However, in the original attempt at a solution, both forces were added in the negative direction,
juggalomike

Homework Statement

Three identical masses of 570 kg each are placed on the x axis. One mass is at x_1 = -10.0 cm, one is at the origin, and one is at x_2 = 43.0 cm.

What is the magnitude of the net gravitational force F_grav on the mass at the origin due to the other two masses?

Take the gravitational constant to be G = 6.67×10−11 N * m^2/kg^2.

Homework Equations

F=G(m1m2/R^2)

F=F1-F2

The Attempt at a Solution

-(6.67*10^-11)*(570^2)/(-.1)^2 - (6.67*10^-11)*(570^2)/(.43)^2 =-0023 N

What am i doing wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
maybe you want to reconsider the direction of each force .. (you should do vector subtraction) ..

thebigstar25 said:
maybe you want to reconsider the direction of each force .. (you should do vector subtraction) ..

tried it, still telling me the answer is not 0...

why should the answer be zero?

thebigstar25 said:
why should the answer be zero?

The answer is not zero, however because my number is so small it is considering it to be 0

juggalomike said:

Homework Statement

Three identical masses of 570 kg each are placed on the x axis. One mass is at x_1 = -10.0 cm, one is at the origin, and one is at x_2 = 43.0 cm.

What is the magnitude of the net gravitational force F_grav on the mass at the origin due to the other two masses?

Take the gravitational constant to be G = 6.67×10−11 N * m^2/kg^2.

Homework Equations

F=G(m1m2/R^2)

F=F1-F2

The Attempt at a Solution

-(6.67*10^-11)*(570^2)/(-.1)^2 - (6.67*10^-11)*(570^2)/(.43)^2 =-0023 N

What am i doing wrong?

The answer is small. But in the expression you gave you are adding both forces in the negative direction. The sign should be different between them. One should be pulling in the positive direction and the other in the negative. I think this was thebigstar25's point.

thanks Dick for explaning my point in a better way .. I think now juggalomike can solve the problem ..

Related to Gravitational force and constants

1. What is gravitational force?

Gravitational force is a natural phenomenon that causes massive objects to attract each other. It is the force that keeps planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

2. What is the universal law of gravitation?

The universal law of gravitation, proposed by Isaac Newton, states that every object in the universe attracts every other object with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

3. What is the value of the gravitational constant?

The gravitational constant, denoted by G, is a fundamental constant that appears in the universal law of gravitation. Its value is approximately 6.67 x 10^-11 Nm^2/kg^2.

4. How does distance affect gravitational force?

According to the universal law of gravitation, the force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This means that the farther apart two objects are, the weaker the gravitational force between them.

5. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Weight is a measure of the gravitational force acting on an object, while mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object. Weight can vary depending on the strength of the gravitational force, while mass remains constant regardless of location.