Gravitational field for 2 particles

In summary, the problem involves two identical particles with mass m located at +x0 and -x0 on the x-axis. The task is to determine the formula for the gravitational field at points on the y-axis, denoted as \vec{g}. Using the equations \vec{g}=\frac{\vec{F}}{m} and \vec{g}=\frac{GM}{r^2}\hat{r}, and solving for the components of the gravitational field, it can be shown that the x component of \vec{g} will cancel out due to the symmetry of the problem. Thus, the final answer for \vec{g} is in the form gx,gy where gx=0 and gy=\
Symstar

Homework Statement

Two identical particles, each of mass m, are located on the x-axis at x = +x0 and x = -x0.

Determine a formula for the gravitational field due to these two particles for points on the y axis; that is, write [tex]\vec{g}[/tex] as a function of y, m, x0, and so on.
Express your answers in terms of the variables y, m, x0, and appropriate constants. Answer in the form gx,gy.

Homework Equations

[tex]\vec{g}=\frac{\vec{F}}{m}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{g}=\frac{GM}{r^2}\hat{r}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really at a loss as to how to approach this problem. I would assume that, graphically, the y-axis will be between the two particles and that we are trying to find the components of g in terms of the point on the y axis.

I suppose that in this frame we have a triangle with our particles on two corners and our point on the y-axis at the third corner.

I'm still very unsure as to how gravitational fields work in cases like this, but here's what I attempted:

[tex]\vec{g}=\frac{\vec{F_1}}{m} + \frac{\vec{F_2}}{m}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{g}=\frac{mG}{r^2_1}\hat{r_1} + \frac{mG}{r^2_2}\hat{r_2}[/tex]
[tex]r^2_1=-x^2_0+y^2[/tex]
[tex]r^2_2=x^2_0+y^2[/tex]
[tex]\vec{g}=\frac{mG}{-x^2_0+y^2}\hat{r_1} + \frac{mG}{x^2_0+y^2}\hat{r_2}[/tex]

At this point, assuming I haven't made a mistake (I doubt that I haven't) I don't know what to do. Could someone give me a hand and some explaining, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track, kind of.

Correction:
r1^2= xo^2+y^2=r2^2

Then find the x and y components for each one of the two forces (or gravitational fields).
Add the components.
What can you say about the x component, just from the symmetry of the problem?

I'm really stuck on how to resolve the forces into x and y components without an angle. If we could use trig functions, it would be no problem, but the formula does not depend on theta, according to the answer. Is there some geometric trick I'm missing or what?

The x components (whatever they are) should just cancel to 0 right?

Last edited:

Related to Gravitational field for 2 particles

1. What is a gravitational field for 2 particles?

A gravitational field for 2 particles refers to the region of space around two massive objects where the force of gravity between them is present. It is a fundamental concept in classical mechanics and is described by Newton's law of universal gravitation.

2. How is the gravitational field for 2 particles calculated?

The gravitational field for 2 particles is calculated by using the formula F = G (m1m2 / r^2), where F is the force of gravity, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two particles, and r is the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of the gravitational field for 2 particles?

The strength of the gravitational field for 2 particles is affected by the masses of the two particles and the distance between them. The greater the masses of the particles, the stronger the gravitational field, and the closer the particles are, the stronger the field will be.

4. Can the gravitational field for 2 particles be negative?

No, the gravitational field for 2 particles cannot be negative. It is always positive, indicating an attractive force between the two particles. If the two particles have opposite charges, the force between them would be repulsive, but it is still considered a positive field.

5. How does the gravitational field for 2 particles affect the motion of objects?

The gravitational field for 2 particles affects the motion of objects by exerting a force on them, causing them to accelerate towards each other. This force is what keeps planets in orbit around the sun and holds objects on the surface of the Earth.