Gravitational attraction of bodies

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of describing the motion of two massive objects feeling each other's gravitational attraction. The speaker simplified the problem and derived a position-time equation for two masses at rest with respective masses of m1 and m2. However, the equation is not with respect to an outside reference frame and only represents the distance between the objects. The speaker asks for confirmation and additional comments to help with the overall goal. One participant asks for clarification on whose frame of reference the result applies to, and the speaker responds that it is with respect to either of the moving masses.
Nabeshin
Science Advisor
Hello! The stem from this problem came to me when I was pondering how to describe the motion of two massive objects feeling the others' gravitational attraction (i.e binary star systems or something like that). Well this got ugly fast so I had to simplify a lot of things, and I finally got an answer for one.

Considering two massive bodies, initially at rest, with respective masses of m1 and m2, I derived a position-time equation of:

x(t)=[tex]\sqrt[4]{x_{o}^{4}-6Gt^{2}(m_{1}+m_{2})}[/tex]

Some notes: This isn't a true position-time equation, because I couldn't figure out how to do it with respect to an outside reference frame (i.e x-y axis), so it is merely the distance between the objects. I can add work such as the solving of the differential equation if necessary.

Can anyone confirm this result? Perhaps add a comment or two that might help with the overall goal described above? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
bump :cry:

Could you explain from whose frame reference your result applies ? For instance, your result might be correct for an observer situated in the line of sight between the bodies, and initially at rest wrt the bodies before they begin moving ( ie at t=0, nothing is moving ).

The answer is with respect to either of the moving masses, actually, if that makes any sense. Although, I assumed at t=0 nothing was moving with respect to the other.

Related to Gravitational attraction of bodies

What is gravitational attraction?

Gravitational attraction is the force of attraction between two bodies due to their masses. It is one of the four fundamental forces of nature, along with strong and weak nuclear forces and electromagnetic force.

How does the force of gravity work?

The force of gravity is described by Newton's Law of Universal Gravitation, which states that the force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. In simpler terms, the larger the masses and the closer the objects are, the stronger the gravitational force between them.

What factors affect gravitational attraction?

The main factor that affects gravitational attraction is the mass of the objects. The larger the mass, the stronger the force of gravity. Distance also plays a role, as the force of gravity decreases as the distance between objects increases. Other factors such as shape and density can also have a small effect on gravitational attraction.

What is the difference between gravitational attraction and gravitational acceleration?

Gravitational attraction refers to the force of gravity between two objects, while gravitational acceleration is the acceleration an object experiences due to this force. Gravitational acceleration is dependent on both the mass of the object and the strength of the gravitational force between it and another object.

How does the mass of an object affect gravitational attraction?

The mass of an object directly affects the strength of gravitational attraction between it and another object. The greater the mass, the stronger the gravitational pull it exerts on other objects. This is why larger objects, such as planets and stars, have a stronger gravitational pull than smaller objects, such as rocks and humans.