Gravitation - Satellite in circular orbit

In summary, the minimum energy required to launch a satellite into a circular orbit at a height equal to the radius of the earth is the sum of the potential energy needed to raise the satellite to that height and the kinetic energy needed to give it the appropriate speed for that orbit. The orbital speed can be calculated using the equation mv^2/r = F, where F is the centripetal force (in this case, the gravitational force between the satellite and the earth).
atavistic

Homework Statement

A satellite of mass m, initially at rest on the earth, is launched into a circular orbit at a height equal to radius of the earth. What is the the minimum energy required for this purpose?

Homework Equations

GMm/r^2 = mv^2/r

PE at surface = -GMm/R
PE at orbit = -GMm/r

where r = 2R

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not getting the logic, and I think my problem is more so related to circular motion, I mean if we launch a satellite ,then it will go up and if viewed from outside Earth , follow an elliptical trajectory , then how does it get into a circular orbit?How does a force which is actually pulling it downward suddenly provide centripetal acceleration for rotational motion? How is the initial and final energy related. I did most of the problem but this has left me perplexed made me revisit circular motion but I didnt get the solution to my answer anywhere.

Physics news on Phys.org

To get you on the right track, think of this in terms of energy. You need to do a certain amount of work on the satellite to get it into orbit. That work goes into a change in potential energy - and - you have to get the satellite up to a certain velocity - so you also need to provide enough energy that goes into kinetic energy.

Last edited by a moderator:

I understand that but that's not really my question but thanks.

You are making it more difficult than it is. You don;t have to go into the technical details of the launching. And it does not have to be an elliptical orbit (unless you consider a circular orbit as a special case op ellipse).
You may think about it in two steps:
1. rise the satellite up to a height of 2r - you provide potential energy
2. "kick-it" laterally so it gets the appropriate speed for that orbit - you provide kinetic energy
Total energy provided = sum of the two.
Now, for the orbital motion, you must have mv^2/r = F
F is the centripetal force, here the gravitational force between satellite and Earth. This will give you the orbital speed.

Related to Gravitation - Satellite in circular orbit

1. What is the force of gravity acting on a satellite in a circular orbit?

The force of gravity acting on a satellite in a circular orbit is known as the centripetal force. It is equal to the product of the mass of the satellite, the velocity squared, and the radius of the orbit, divided by the distance between the satellite and the center of the gravitational body. This force keeps the satellite in its circular path around the gravitational body.

2. How is the velocity of a satellite in a circular orbit related to its distance from the gravitational body?

The velocity of a satellite in a circular orbit is directly proportional to the square root of the gravitational constant and inversely proportional to the square root of the distance between the satellite and the center of the gravitational body. This means that as the distance increases, the velocity decreases, and vice versa.

3. Can a satellite in a circular orbit experience changes in its velocity?

Yes, a satellite in a circular orbit can experience changes in its velocity due to external forces, such as atmospheric drag or gravitational pulls from other celestial bodies. However, as long as the orbit remains circular, the satellite's velocity will always be perpendicular to the gravitational force acting on it.

4. How does the mass of the gravitational body affect the circular orbit of a satellite?

The mass of the gravitational body has a direct effect on the circular orbit of a satellite. The greater the mass of the body, the stronger the force of gravity and the faster the satellite must travel to maintain its circular orbit. This means that a satellite in orbit around a more massive body will have a smaller orbital radius and a higher orbital velocity compared to a satellite orbiting a less massive body.

5. Is the gravitational force between a satellite and a gravitational body always attractive?

Yes, the gravitational force between a satellite and a gravitational body is always attractive. This means that the satellite is constantly being pulled towards the center of the gravitational body, which is what allows it to stay in its circular orbit. This force follows the inverse-square law, meaning that as the distance between the two objects increases, the force decreases.