Gravitation, really hard at least for me

In summary, the conversation discussed how to calculate the magnitude of the gravitational force on a particle located a distance d from one end of a uniform rod with length L and mass M. The solution involved using the density of the rod and integrating the force equation, which resulted in an answer of approximately 6.05e-12. The individual also made a mistake in converting units, but ultimately understood the process and will remember it in the future.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

In Fig. 13-41, a particle of mass m1 = 0.23 kg is a distance d = 84 cm from one end of a uniform rod with length L = 6.4 m and mass M = 2.4 kg. What is the magnitude of the gravitational force on the particle from the rod?

Homework Equations

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c13/fig13_41.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

ok...so i figured that the desnity of the rod, M/L should be the same for dm/dr...so then dm=(M/L)dx. (i thought just to visualize easier i made dr into dx, so it looked like a coordinate system to me)

then i figured i had to integrate F=int (dF)

so i did F= int (Gmdm)/(x+d)^2...since dm=(M/L)dx this made the integral
int (GmMdx)/L(x+d)^2

further simplifying i got F= (GmM/L) integral dx(x+d)^2

after integration i got F= GmM/L multiplied by -(x+d)^-1 from 0 to L...

then i solved, etc. but got the wrong answer...any idea if this is totally off or if i made a silly mistake somewhere?

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks correct...

It looks correct to me, too. However, I would just make a comment on your integral: you should be more explicit about the limits. E.g. I did a change of variables that changed my limits to d and L+d (but anyway I got the same result as you).

Maybe you just forgot to convert cm to m?

i'm an idiot... the answer was about 6.05e-12, and when i plugged it into the website i left out the e-12...what a silly mistake! well, i have looked at it sooo many times at least that i will never forget how to do this problem...

Related to Gravitation, really hard at least for me

What is gravitation?

Gravitation is a natural phenomenon by which all objects with mass are brought towards each other. It is a fundamental force in the universe and is responsible for the motion of planets, stars, and galaxies.

What causes gravitation?

Gravitation is caused by the presence of mass in an object. The more mass an object has, the stronger its gravitational force will be. This force is also affected by the distance between objects, with the force decreasing as the distance increases.

What is the difference between gravity and gravitation?

Gravity is the force that results from the interaction between two objects with mass. Gravitation, on the other hand, is the theory that explains how and why gravity occurs. Gravity is a measurable force, while gravitation is a concept that helps us understand this force.

How was the concept of gravitation developed?

The concept of gravitation was first developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century. He proposed the theory of universal gravitation, which states that every object in the universe exerts a force of attraction on every other object. This theory was later refined by Albert Einstein's theory of general relativity.

Why is understanding gravitation important?

Understanding gravitation is essential for many scientific fields, including astronomy, astrophysics, and cosmology. It allows us to explain and predict the motion of celestial bodies, such as planets, stars, and galaxies. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies, such as space travel and satellite communications.