Gravitation & Orbital Mechanics: Is One Method More Correct Than the Other?

In summary, the individual has been struggling with problems in their gravitation and orbital mechanics textbook. They have noticed that their answers, which primarily use known orbital equations, are close but not exactly the same as the book's solutions. They have also observed that the solution guide from Chegg often uses conservation of mechanical energy to find answers that are more in line with the book's solutions. The individual is wondering if one method is more correct than the other. They have been asked to provide an example of a problem and their approach, including numerical methods, for further assistance.
JaDi13
I have been going through problems in my textbook and have a question.
The chapter is on gravitation and orbital mechanics. When answering the problems I seem to head towards different methods than what the book prescribes. My answers, primarily using known orbital equations, are close, but not quite the answers the book has in the back. Using the solution guide from Chegg, I find that they often use the conservation of mechanical energy to find answers the book more readily agrees with.
Is one way more correct than the other?
thanks​

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi JaDi13. Welcome to PF!

It is rather difficult for us to understand what the problem is from what you have posted. If you could provide us with an example of a problem and show us your approach and the textbook solution we could probably help you.

AM

When you provide more details as @Andrew Mason asked, please include your numerical methods. For example, numerical integration.

Related to Gravitation & Orbital Mechanics: Is One Method More Correct Than the Other?

1. What is the difference between gravitation and orbital mechanics?

Gravitation is the force of attraction between two objects due to their masses, while orbital mechanics is the study of the motion of objects in orbit around each other.

2. Which method is used more frequently in scientific research?

Both gravitation and orbital mechanics are used extensively in scientific research, as they are both crucial in understanding the motion of celestial bodies in the universe.

3. Is one method more accurate than the other?

Both methods are equally accurate in explaining the motion of objects in space. However, each method may be more useful in different scenarios, depending on the specific conditions and variables involved.

4. Are there any limitations to these methods?

Both methods have limitations, as no scientific theory or model is perfect. Gravitation does not take into account the effects of relativity, while orbital mechanics assumes perfectly circular orbits and negligible forces from other celestial bodies.

5. How do these methods contribute to our understanding of the universe?

Gravitation and orbital mechanics are fundamental concepts in astrophysics and cosmology, helping us understand the motion of planets, stars, galaxies, and other celestial bodies. They also play a crucial role in space exploration and satellite technology.