Gravitation, hollowed out sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the gravitational force between a hollowed-out lead sphere and a small sphere at a specific distance from the center of the lead sphere. The solution involves using the force equation and calculating the force for the original and hollowed spheres, then subtracting them to find the final force.
Puchinita5

Homework Statement

Figure 13-39 shows a spherical hollow inside a lead sphere of radius R = 4.5 m; the surface of the hollow passes through the center of the sphere and “touches” the right side of the sphere. The mass of the sphere before hollowing was M = 380 kg. With what gravitational force does the hollowed-out lead sphere attract a small sphere of mass m = 22 kg that lies at a distance d = 17 m from the center of the lead sphere, on the straight line connecting the centers of the spheres and of the hollow?

Homework Equations

http://edugen.wiley.com/edugen/courses/crs1650/art/qb/qu/c13/fig13_39.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to figure out the mass of the hollowed out section by taking the density of the whole sphere and setting that equal to what the density of the small sphere would be and solving for mass. I got the mass for the hollowed section to be 47.5, so I subtracted this from the original mass to get the final mass. I then used F=G(m1)(m2)/r^2 to solve for force, using the final mass of the hollowed sphere. This gave me the wrong answer. The only thing I can think is that the center of mass would no longer be at the spheres center, so the distance between the two objects should be different, but I don't know how I would calculate where the center of mass would now be. Any insight?

Physics news on Phys.org
ok nevermind, i just figured it out...i took a wild guess how to do it and it worked, though i am not really sure why. I used the force equation for the orignal sphere, and then for the hollowed sphere. I subtracted the force of the hollowed sphere from the force of the orignal, and got the right answer. Doesn't wholly make sense to me

It seems like you are on the right track with your approach. However, there are a few things to consider when calculating the gravitational force between the hollowed-out sphere and the small sphere.

Firstly, when you hollow out a sphere, the mass distribution changes. The mass is no longer evenly distributed throughout the sphere, as it is now concentrated towards the edges. This means that the center of mass of the hollowed-out sphere will not be at the same location as the center of the original sphere. To calculate the new center of mass, you can use the formula for center of mass:

x_cm = (m1*x1 + m2*x2 + ... + mn*xn) / (m1 + m2 + ... + mn)

Where x_cm is the new center of mass, m1, m2, etc. are the masses of the different parts of the sphere, and x1, x2, etc. are the distances of those parts from the original center of the sphere.

Secondly, when calculating the gravitational force between the two spheres, you need to take into account the distance between their centers of mass, not their physical centers. This means that the distance between the two spheres will be different from the given distance of 17 m.

Once you have calculated the new center of mass and the correct distance between the two spheres, you can use the formula F = G(m1)(m2)/r^2 to calculate the gravitational force between them.

I hope this helps. Keep in mind that when dealing with complex systems like this, it's important to carefully consider all the factors involved and make sure your calculations are taking everything into account. Good luck!

Related to Gravitation, hollowed out sphere

1. What is the concept of gravitation in relation to a hollowed out sphere?

The concept of gravitation in relation to a hollowed out sphere refers to the gravitational force exerted by the sphere on objects outside and inside of it. This force is dependent on the mass and distance of the objects from the center of the sphere.

2. How does the mass of a hollowed out sphere affect its gravitational pull?

The mass of a hollowed out sphere directly affects its gravitational pull. The greater the mass of the sphere, the stronger its gravitational pull will be on objects near it.

3. Does the thickness of the hollowed out sphere's walls affect its gravitational pull?

No, the thickness of the hollowed out sphere's walls does not affect its gravitational pull. As long as the mass and size of the sphere remain the same, the gravitational pull will remain constant.

4. Can objects inside a hollowed out sphere experience gravitational pull?

Yes, objects inside a hollowed out sphere can experience gravitational pull. This is because the mass of the sphere still exerts a gravitational force on objects inside of it, just like it does on objects outside of it.

5. How does the distance from the center of a hollowed out sphere affect its gravitational pull?

The distance from the center of a hollowed out sphere has a direct impact on its gravitational pull. The closer an object is to the center, the stronger the gravitational pull will be. As the distance increases, the gravitational pull decreases.