Gravitation force of a disk with a hole

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation for gravitational force for a disk and how it would be affected if the disk had a small hollow of radius c and a distance of d from the center to the end. The conclusion is that the force can be modeled as a sum of two disks, one with a positive mass and one with a negative mass, with the only difference being the radius.
toony12362

Homework Statement

[/B]Hello, I have derived the equation for the gravitational force for a disk to be
2Ggm/a^2(1-x/sqrt(a^2 - x^2) when an object is added on top of the system. My question is would the force still be somewhat similar if the disk now had a small hollow of radius c and from the center to the end of the disk the distance is d?

The Attempt at a Solution

Im assuming it will be and that the only difference I would make is that my radius is now (d-c) or my new area would now be da = 2 * pi * (d^2 - c^2) but I am not sure if that logic makes sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
A sketch or at least a description of the variables would help.
The expression has mismatching brackets.

A disk with an empty interior can be described as sum of a larger disk with positive mass and a smaller disk with negative mass.

Sorry! Here is a sketch. I am assumning if we have a regular disk then the gravitational force can be modeled by the force equation in the diagram!
Tt7n5MV.png

Now if we have a disk with an empty interior of radius b like this figure
MuqfXnu.png

Would the only thing that change in my equation would now be the radius? That the new radius would be (a -b) or would it be my area such that A = pi*b^2 - pi * a^2 or A=pi * (b-a)^2

toony12362 said:
2Ggm/a^2(1-x/sqrt(a^2 - x^2)
From your second post, I gather that is:
##\frac{2Ggm}{a^2}\left(1-\frac x{\sqrt{a^2 - x^2}}\right)##
But that cannot be right. When x=0 the force should be 0.

@haruspex: The force is discontinuous at x=0 for an ideal disk, the formula is for x>0.
toony12362 said:
Would the only thing that change in my equation would now be the radius?
No, but you can model the force as sum of two disks, one with a positive and one with a negative mass.

The square root in your formula cannot be correct - it becomes undefined for x>a.

Likes haruspex
mfb said:
@haruspex: The force is discontinuous at x=0 for an ideal disk, the formula is for x>0.No, but you can model the force as sum of two disks, one with a positive and one with a negative mass.

The square root in your formula cannot be correct - it becomes undefined for x>a.
Does this mean the force is just F= F_actual_mass_with_radius_b - F_negative_mass_with_radius_a?

Yes.

Related to Gravitation force of a disk with a hole

1. What is the gravitation force of a disk with a hole?

The gravitation force of a disk with a hole depends on several factors, including the mass and radius of the disk, the distance between the disk and other objects, and the presence of other gravitational forces. It can be calculated using the formula F=G(m1m2)/r^2, where G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

2. Does the size of the hole in the disk affect the gravitation force?

Yes, the size of the hole in the disk can affect the gravitation force. The larger the hole, the less mass there is in the disk, which can result in a weaker gravitational force. However, the size of the hole may be negligible compared to the overall mass of the disk, so the effect on the gravitation force may be minimal.

3. How does the gravitation force of a disk with a hole compare to a solid disk?

The gravitation force of a disk with a hole is typically less than that of a solid disk with the same mass and radius. This is because the presence of the hole reduces the overall mass of the disk, resulting in a weaker gravitational force. However, the exact difference in force will depend on the size and location of the hole.

4. Can the gravitation force of a disk with a hole be negative?

No, the gravitation force of a disk with a hole cannot be negative. Gravitation force is always attractive, meaning that it always pulls objects towards each other. Even if the disk with a hole is very far away from other objects, the force will still be positive and act to pull the objects together.

5. How does the distance between the disk with a hole and other objects affect the gravitation force?

The distance between the disk with a hole and other objects has a significant impact on the gravitation force. As the distance increases, the force decreases according to the inverse square law. This means that the force decreases exponentially as the distance increases. Therefore, the farther away an object is from the disk with a hole, the weaker the gravitation force will be.