GRAVITATION by MTW: p.49, lambda or tau?

In summary: Thanks Altabeth,The connection between the parameter of the curve and the parameter of the new straight line is that \tau is the parameter of the curve, and it is related to \tau linearly. When you differentiate the straight line P(0) + \tau(\frac{dP}{d\tau})_o with respect to \tau, you get the tangent to curve at \tau=0 which is (dP(\tau)/d\tau)_0.
Living_Dog
At the very bottom of the page they have that the straight line, using the definition of a vector as the derivative of the worldline is given as:

[tex]P(0) + \lambda(\frac{dP}{d\tau})_o[/tex]

But since the worldline, [tex]P(\tau)[/tex] is paramtrized by [tex]\tau[/tex] and not [tex]\lambda[/tex], then shouldn't the equation be:

[tex]P(0) + \tau(\frac{dP}{d\tau})_o[/tex]

?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you think the trouble is. It seems fine to me. At that point, the world line isn't straight, and they just seem to be looking for the vector equation of the straight line which is tangent to that point. The equation is just the vector pointing to the point, plus k x tangent vector, with k an arbitrary real. There's no reason why this k should be intimately connected with t is there

Living_Dog said:
At the very bottom of the page they have that the straight line, using the definition of a vector as the derivative of the worldline is given as:

[tex]P(0) + \lambda(\frac{dP}{d\tau})_o[/tex]

But since the worldline, [tex]P(\tau)[/tex] is paramtrized by [tex]\tau[/tex] and not [tex]\lambda[/tex], then shouldn't the equation be:

[tex]P(0) + \tau(\frac{dP}{d\tau})_o[/tex]

?

Thanks in advance.

Just a little typo. Your correction is completely apposite.

AB

Altabeth

if you get a chance, could you explain that to me. For the equation of the straight line that is a tangent to the curve, why does tau have to appear as the parameter in the vector equation? I can't see any connection.

yossell said:
Altabeth

if you get a chance, could you explain that to me. For the equation of the straight line that is a tangent to the curve, why does tau have to appear as the parameter in the vector equation? I can't see any connection.

The parameter of curve is apparently [tex]\tau[/tex] and when you differentiate the straight line [tex]P(0) + \tau(\frac{dP}{d\tau})_o[/tex] with respect to [tex]\tau[/tex] then you get the tangent to curve at [tex]\tau=0[/tex] which is [tex](dP(\tau)/d\tau)_0.[/tex] I f we take [tex]\lambda[/tex] to be related to [tex]\tau[/tex] linearly, [tex]\lamda=a\tau+b[/tex] with both [tex]a,b[/tex] being constants (a=/=0) then it doesn't let the differentiation produce the tangent through including an extra factor [tex]a[/tex] multiplied by the true tangent above.

P.s. when you talk of straight line you're no longer allowed to asign a "vector equation" to this line. "tau" is just a parameter of curve and has the same role as [tex]t[/tex] in the Newtonian equation [tex]x=vt+x_0.[/tex]

AB

Last edited:
Thanks Altabeth,

But in MTW they only say `the straight line' of the four velocity. For this, I'm struggling to see a connection between the parameter used on the curve and the parameter on the new straight line. It's surely irrelevant what it is, and provided to differentiate the function with respect the variable, whether it's tau or lambda, you get the right result.

And from MTW
One must first form dP/d\tau and only thereafter draw the staight line P(0) + \lambda(dP/d\tau)

P(0) and dP/d\tau are vectors, this is a vector equation, and they're calling it a straight line.

yossell said:
Thanks Altabeth,

But in MTW they only say `the straight line' of the four velocity. For this, I'm struggling to see a connection between the parameter used on the curve and the parameter on the new straight line. It's surely irrelevant what it is, and provided to differentiate the function with respect the variable, whether it's tau or lambda, you get the right result.

And from MTW

P(0) and dP/d\tau are vectors, this is a vector equation, and they're calling it a straight line.

Gotta be more careful here: They are saying that [tex]P(0)+\lambda (dP/d\tau)_0[/tex] is a straight line. You think incorrectly that [tex]P(0) [/tex] and [tex]dP/d\tau[/tex] are vectors whereas [tex]P(\tau)[/tex] and [tex]dP/d\tau[/tex] are respectively the straight world line of a free particle (a non-vector quantity) and the tangent on this world line so that both of [tex]P(0) [/tex] and [tex]dP/d\tau[/tex] due to being computed at some point ([tex]\tau=0[/tex]) are to be considered as constants only. This means when taking the derivative of[tex]P(0)+\lambda (dP/d\tau)_0[/tex] with respect to the variable of world line, i.e. [tex]\tau[/tex], you get

[tex]\frac{d\lambda}{d\tau} (\frac{dP}{d\tau})_0[/tex]

which was expected to be the tangent to the world line,

[tex](\frac{dP}{d\tau})_0[/tex]

thus leading to

[tex]\frac{d\lambda}{d\tau} =1[/tex]

or

[tex]\lambda=\tau.[/tex]

I hope this helps.

AB

Related to GRAVITATION by MTW: p.49, lambda or tau?

1. What is the significance of p.49 in "GRAVITATION by MTW: p.49, lambda or tau?"

P.49 refers to the page number in the book "GRAVITATION" by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler. This page discusses the concept of the cosmological constant, represented by the Greek letter lambda (λ) or tau (τ), in the theory of general relativity.

2. What is the cosmological constant in the theory of general relativity?

The cosmological constant is a parameter in the theory of general relativity that represents the energy density of the vacuum of space. It was initially introduced by Albert Einstein to counteract the effects of gravity and maintain a static universe. However, its existence is still debated and it is now mostly used to explain the acceleration of the universe's expansion.

3. How does lambda or tau affect the curvature of space?

The value of lambda or tau affects the curvature of space by determining the overall geometry of the universe. A positive value of lambda or tau leads to a closed universe with positive curvature, while a negative value leads to an open universe with negative curvature. A value of zero results in a flat universe.

4. What is the relationship between lambda or tau and dark energy?

Lambda or tau is often associated with dark energy, a mysterious force that is believed to be responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe. It is theorized that the cosmological constant is a manifestation of dark energy, but this has not been confirmed.

5. How does the value of lambda or tau change over time?

The value of lambda or tau is believed to be constant over time, as it represents the energy density of the vacuum of space. However, some theories suggest that it may change over time due to the expansion of the universe and the evolution of dark energy. This is an area of ongoing research and debate among scientists.