Gravitation and velocity problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem with the given equation and values. The relevant equations are ΔEk+Q=-0.5ΔEP and ΔEk+Q=ΔEp, and the solution involves finding the velocity using the radius of the Earth and the given values. The final answer is 2133 m/s, which is close to the given answer of 2100 m/s.
canicon25

Homework Statement

object.jpg

Homework Equations

2ΔEk=-ΔEp

The Attempt at a Solution

-Gm1m2(1/r1-1/r2)-Q=mv2

plug in given values solve for v.

my answer is 5.35x106m/s
given answer is 2100m/s

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
canicon25 said:

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Any ideas?

canicon25 said:
my answer is 5.35x106m/s
given answer is 2100m/s
Watch your units, be careful to distinguish between altitude and radial distance, and most important of all, show your work. There's no way to tell you where you went wrong if you don't show your work.

BTW, the given answer is correct.

its 400000m not 400m

1600v2=-G(1600)(5.98E24)/(6.38E6+400000) - (-G)(1600)(5.98E24)/ (6.38E6+100000) - 8.3E8

v=1407 m/s

still not getting the correct solution.

Last edited:
Showing your work does not mean spewing out an equation without units and without justification. What are the relevant equations?

i am stumped. i tried using

ΔEk+Q=-(0.5)ΔEp

where Ek= 0.5mv2

and Ep= -GMm/r

Q is heat energy. Given in problem.

Last edited:
why do you have a 0.5 in the energy conservation equation?

upon further reading i found that

ΔEk+Q=-0.5ΔEP for CIRCULAR ORBITS ONLY

am i correct in assuming that

ΔEk+Q=ΔEp would apply for a object falling to Earth

so i tried it and did get correct answer

0.5mv2+Q=-GMm(1/r1-1/r2)

r1=radius Earth + 400000km
r2=radius Earth + 100000km

when i solve for v i get 2133 m/s

Last edited:
canicon25 said:

0.5mv2+Q=-GMm(1/r1-1/r2)

I got 2096 m/s ≈ 2100 m/s

canicon25 said:

0.5mv2+Q=-GMm(1/r1-1/r2)

I think you've done it right, but there might be some rounding error, which means your answer isn't exactly the same as the given answer. good job!

Related to Gravitation and velocity problem

1. What is the relationship between gravitation and velocity?

Gravity is a force that attracts objects towards each other, and velocity is the rate at which an object's position changes over time. In terms of their relationship, gravity affects the velocity of an object by constantly pulling it towards the center of the Earth or another massive object. This results in an acceleration of the object towards the ground, which can be measured as the change in velocity over time.

2. How does mass affect the gravitational force between two objects?

The gravitational force between two objects is directly proportional to their masses. This means that as the mass of one or both objects increases, the force of gravity between them also increases. Conversely, as the distance between the objects increases, the force of gravity decreases.

3. What is the difference between weight and mass?

Mass is a measure of the amount of matter in an object, while weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object. Mass is constant, while weight can change depending on the strength of the gravitational field. For example, an object would have a different weight on the moon compared to the Earth, but its mass would remain the same.

4. How does acceleration due to gravity vary on different planets?

The acceleration due to gravity on a planet is dependent on its mass and radius. Generally, the larger the mass and radius of a planet, the stronger its gravitational pull and the higher the acceleration due to gravity. For example, the acceleration due to gravity on Earth is 9.8 m/s², while on Mars it is 3.7 m/s².

5. How can the equation F=ma be used to solve gravitation and velocity problems?

The equation F=ma, where F is force, m is mass, and a is acceleration, can be used to solve many gravitation and velocity problems. By rearranging the equation, we can calculate the acceleration of an object due to gravity (a = F/m) or the force of gravity acting on an object (F = ma). This equation is especially useful in calculating the trajectory of objects with a constant acceleration, such as projectiles launched into the air.