Nonconservative Forces (conceptual)

In summary, the conversation is about solving nonconservative force problems and the confusion surrounding the involvement of frictional or opposing forces. The discussants provide an example problem and explain the use of the work done by a force formula to solve for the velocity of a car at the bottom of a sloped driveway. The conversation highlights the importance of considering all forces, including frictional forces, in solving nonconservative force problems.
Blade
I'm having problems with solving these nonconservative forces problems. The teach keeps pointing to Wnc=(KE+PE)f - (KE+PE)i

As we use this when there is friction present, I'm totally confused on where the frictional or opposing force is involved when solving. I've basically been ignoring the frictional force when solving for instance for vf, or vi, which I'm sure isn't the right way. I don't seem to be able to find an adequate explanation in the AP book or elsewhere.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you give the details of a concrete nonconservative force problem you'd like to learn how to solve, and where you get stuck in understanding what's going on? Otherwise, it's hard to guess exactly what you don't understand.

Example: "A 2.1x10^3kg car starts from rest at the top of a 5.0m long driveway that is sloped at 20 degrees with the horizontal. If an average friction force of 4.0x10^3 N impedes the motion, find the speed of the car at the bottom of the driveway."

I know there's no final kinetic force, and no final potential force, so that leaves me Wnc = KEf - PEi

1/2mv^2 - mgh

h=Fsin20 (I think)

1/2mv^2 - mgh

Yeah... not sure what to do at this point, I was thinking F was also the Ff, but I don't think that's right. I think I'm having trouble with, what happened to Wnc.

The term "opposing force" is confusing.
Consider a horizontal table and a block projected on it with an initial horizontal velocity. No horizontal force other than the force of friction. What is the " opposing force" here?

You may be meaning any force. If that force is a non-conservative force the work done by that will go into Wnc. The work done by the friction force - almost always negative- will of couse go into Wnc

Originally posted by Blade
I know there's no final kinetic force, and no final potential force,

(I think you mean energy, not force, and that there is no initial kinetic energy.)

so that leaves me Wnc = KEf - PEi

1/2mv^2 - mgh

Right.

Now, you have to use the additional fact that the work done by a force is force times displacement. So you also have that the nonconservative work, which is the work done by the frictional force, is

Wnc = (4.0 x 103 N) (5 m)

Set that equal to the above expression, and you can solve for v.

h=Fsin20 (I think)

I don't know what F is.

h = (5 m) sin(20)

"I'm having trouble with, what happened to Wnc."

Wnc = KEf - PEi = 1/2 mv^2 - mgh
(h = L sin20, where L the length of the driveway = 5 meters)

Wnc is also = (Friction force x Distance moved in the direction of the force) = (4x 10^3 Newtons)x(-5 meter),as the direction of distance moved, 5 meter, is opposite to that of the force.

1/2 mv^2 - mg(5 Sin20) = (4x 10^3 Newtons)x(-5 meter)
u know m and g. Find v.

1. What are nonconservative forces?

Nonconservative forces are forces that do not conserve mechanical energy. This means that the work done by these forces will not result in a change in the total mechanical energy of a system.

2. What are some examples of nonconservative forces?

Friction, air resistance, and tension are all examples of nonconservative forces. These forces result in dissipation of energy, such as heat or sound, and cannot be recovered.

3. How do nonconservative forces affect the motion of an object?

Nonconservative forces can decrease the speed and/or change the direction of an object's motion. They can also cause an object to come to a complete stop.

4. Can nonconservative forces do positive work?

No, nonconservative forces can only do negative work. This means that they always result in a decrease in the object's mechanical energy.

5. How can nonconservative forces be accounted for in equations?

Nonconservative forces are typically accounted for by including them in the work-energy theorem, which states that the net work done on an object is equal to the change in the object's kinetic energy. Nonconservative forces will result in a negative value for work in this equation.