Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Graphing the sum of functions

Bushy

Jul 2, 2012
If I graph $x+ \sin x $ it looks like a wavey line.

I want a fucntion that looks like a wavey circle. I thought $\sqrt{r^2-x^2}+\sin x$ may work and played around with values for r, no such luck. Does anyone know a function to achieve this?

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
\(\displaystyle \sqrt{30-x^2}+\frac{(\sin x)^2}{4}\) seems sort of close. I don't know exactly what you're picturing in your head but you can adjust the fluctuations by manipulating sin(x).

Bushy

Jul 2, 2012
Yep thats on the right track, was looking to see more visible oscillations on the cirlce if that makes sense.

This is more of a general interest type question

Ackbach

Indicium Physicus
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Seems like polar coordinates might be useful here. Something like
$$r=1+0.1\sin(10 \theta)$$
might work.

DeusAbscondus

Jun 30, 2012
I'm trying to participate in this thread by adding a little graph, but I can't get the hang of the upload facility:
I have 2 objects visible in the upload box which i wish to delete so as to come under my quota but can't for the life of me see how to delete.

Without a delete, I can't upload the graph I want to share.

Anyone browsing able to help?

DeusAbs

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I'm trying to participate in this thread by adding a little graph, but I can't get the hang of the upload facility:
I have 2 objects visible in the upload box which i wish to delete so as to come under my quota but can't for the life of me see how to delete.

DeusAbs
Try deleting it here? If that doesn't work then tinyimage will let you upload it there and you can just link to it from here.

Bushy

Jul 2, 2012

DeusAbs

What is the function?

DeusAbscondus

Jun 30, 2012
Try deleting it here? If that doesn't work then tinyimage will let you upload it there and you can just link to it from here.
Hey guys,
I've taken Jameson wavy semi-circe and plotted inflection points on it (with some labour, got to tell you, as Geogebra found it beyond its brief to do it automatically) using perpendicular lines linking $f(x)$ with zeroed $f''(x)$

I've included it as a png screenshot from my pc, as I have been unsuccessful so far at uploading graphs or pics any other way.

Regs,
Deus Abs

PS this is very much in the category of enthusiastic beginner of calc with time on his hands, in the middle of coming to terms with the meaning of second derivative.

CaptainBlack

Jan 26, 2012
Wavey Circle:

Code:
>t=0:0.01:2*pi;
>
>r=1+0.1*cos(10*t);
>
>x=r*cos(t);
>y=r*sin(t);
>
>xplot(x,y);