Graphing Techniques Homework Help for College Algebra Test

• Thread starter sydneyfranke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of graphing techniques in College Algebra, specifically focusing on shifting, stretching, and reflecting functions. The student is struggling to understand the purpose and process of showing variations of a given equation, as well as the lack of information in their textbook. The expert explains the importance of recognizing transformations and offers guidance on how to approach and solve the given problems.
sydneyfranke

Homework Statement

I am in College Algebra. We are going over Graphing Techniques. I'm pretty sure I understand it, but my teacher is confusing me (and barely speaks English, so it's tough asking questions). Anyways, the problem given is . . .

f(x) = (x-1)3 +2

and we are supposed to show variations of this problem using what we know about shifting, stretching, reflecting, etc.

The directions tell us to start with the basic form of the problem, in this case being x^3

My question is that my teacher tells us (and expects on the test) to show and graph the different variations of this equation. Such as

y1= x3
y2= x3 + 2
y3= (x-1)3 + 2

First off, I don't understand why we are supposed to do this, and my proficiency in math is primarily based on understanding the why.

Secondly, the book does not provide any information as how to do this. In fact, the only answer provided to this problem is the graph of (x-1)3 + 2 and nothing else. My textbook is Sullivan Algebra8 along with MyMathLab.

Homework Equations

Other problems and the answers expected by my teacher. Again, answers in the book only provide graphs of the original question.

f(x) = (square root of)(x-2)
y1= (sq. rt)x
y2= (sq rt)(x-2)

f(x) = (sq rt)(-x) - 2
y1= (sq rt)x
y2= (sq rt)(x) - 2
y3=(sq rt)(-x) - 2

f(x)= -(x+1)3 - 1
y1= x3
y2= (x+1)3
y3= -(x+1)3
y4= -(x+1)3 - 1

The Attempt at a Solution

In pretty much guessing, I got most of these right. But I still don't understand why I got them right. And I even more so don't understand why the book is not showing any of this . . .

Any help would be great. The test is Friday.

Physics news on Phys.org
sydneyfranke said:

Homework Statement

I am in College Algebra. We are going over Graphing Techniques. I'm pretty sure I understand it, but my teacher is confusing me (and barely speaks English, so it's tough asking questions). Anyways, the problem given is . . .

f(x) = (x-1)3 +2

and we are supposed to show variations of this problem using what we know about shifting, stretching, reflecting, etc.

The directions tell us to start with the basic form of the problem, in this case being x^3

My question is that my teacher tells us (and expects on the test) to show and graph the different variations of this equation. Such as

y1= x3
y2= x3 + 2
y3= (x-1)3 + 2
y1 is your untransformed function: the one you start with. If you graph y2, you will see that this graph is the translation up by 2 units of the graph of y1.
y2 is the translation by 1 unit to the right of the graph of y2. Relative to y1, the graph of y3 is the translation up by 2 units and to the right by 1 unit.

sydneyfranke said:
First off, I don't understand why we are supposed to do this, and my proficiency in math is primarily based on understanding the why.
Why you are supposed to do this is to help you learn to recognize translations, reflections, and stretches/compressions, relative to untransformed functions.
sydneyfranke said:
Secondly, the book does not provide any information as how to do this. In fact, the only answer provided to this problem is the graph of (x-1)3 + 2 and nothing else. My textbook is Sullivan Algebra8 along with MyMathLab.
I'm not familiar with this text, but if it's as you describe, I'm not impressed with it. It should at least summarize translations -- y = f(x - h) and y = f(x) + k; reflections -- y = f(-x), y = -f(x), and y = -f(-x); stretch/compressions -- y = cf(x) and y = f(kx), for a group of fairly well-known functions. It should also have examples of functions that use two or more of the preceding transformations.
sydneyfranke said:

Homework Equations

Other problems and the answers expected by my teacher. Again, answers in the book only provide graphs of the original question.

f(x) = (square root of)(x-2)
y1= (sq. rt)x
y2= (sq rt)(x-2)
You should recognize this as a lateral translation (a shift).
sydneyfranke said:
f(x) = (sq rt)(-x) - 2
y1= (sq rt)x
y2= (sq rt)(x) - 2
y3=(sq rt)(-x) - 2
You should take care of the reflection first, and then the vertical translation. If you do them out of order, you can sometimes get the wrong graph.
sydneyfranke said:
f(x)= -(x+1)3 - 1
y1= x3
y2= (x+1)3
y3= -(x+1)3
y4= -(x+1)3 - 1
Again, you should take care of the reflection first. You did things in this order: translate left 1 unit, reflect across the x-axis, translate down 1 unit.

The right way to do things is to first deal with stretches or compressions, then reflections, and finally translations.
sydneyfranke said:

The Attempt at a Solution

In pretty much guessing, I got most of these right. But I still don't understand why I got them right. And I even more so don't understand why the book is not showing any of this . . .

Any help would be great. The test is Friday.

Related to Graphing Techniques Homework Help for College Algebra Test

1. What are the different types of graphs used in college algebra?

There are several types of graphs used in college algebra, including line graphs, bar graphs, scatter plots, and pie charts. These graphs are used to visually represent mathematical data and relationships between variables.

2. How do I determine the appropriate scale for my graph?

The scale of a graph refers to the intervals marked on the x and y axes. To determine the appropriate scale, you should consider the range of values for each variable and choose a scale that allows all data points to fit comfortably on the graph while still showing any significant changes or trends.

3. What is the purpose of labeling axes on a graph?

Labeling the axes on a graph helps to provide context and clarity to the data being presented. The x-axis typically represents the independent variable, while the y-axis represents the dependent variable. Labeling the axes also allows for easy interpretation of the data and helps to avoid confusion.

4. How do I choose the best type of graph to represent my data?

The best type of graph to use depends on the type of data you are presenting and the relationships you want to show. For example, a line graph is useful for showing changes over time, while a bar graph is ideal for comparing different categories of data. It is important to consider the purpose of your graph and choose the type that best communicates your data.

5. How can I make my graph visually appealing and easy to read?

To make your graph visually appealing and easy to read, it is important to use appropriate colors, fonts, and spacing. Avoid cluttering the graph with unnecessary elements and make sure all labels and titles are clear and easy to understand. Additionally, make sure to properly scale the graph and use appropriate units for the axes.