Graphing Software: What Do Most People Use?

In summary, the conversation discusses using Excel for accounting and graphs, and the difficulties the speaker is having with it. The other person suggests using Maxima or Mathematica for math-related tasks, and recommends Graphical Analysis for graphing. They also mention the open-source plotting software Gnuplot as a powerful option.
oksanav
I know how to use Excel for accounting stuff, but it's a nightmare for graphs. Is there some shareware I could use? What do most people use?

Physics news on Phys.org
oksanav said:
I know how to use Excel for accounting stuff, but it's a nightmare for graphs. Is there some shareware I could use? What do most people use?

Excel is good for graphs. What problems are you having with it? What are you trying to do?

For a free math related program, check out:
http://maxima.sourceforge.net/

http://www.wolfram.com/products/student/mathforstudents/index.html

The student edition of Mathematic is pretty inexpensive (about $70/year), and if you'll be doing much in the way of computation, it's a good package to learn.

Well, most of the problems are hit and miss, and I suppose I'll figure those out eventually. But one thing, is editing the font of one character of a title and not the whole title. Obviously subscripts are used a lot in lab reports, and I hate not being able to make one in the title. If this is what people really use, then I can learn it, but I wanted to make sure there wasn't something better. Thanks!

Graphical Analysis (from Vernier) has my recommendation. I use it with my students for physics and physics labs. Quite a few students have gone on to request permission from other teachers to use it for lab reports rather than excel, because it's much more intuitive (and quicker) to use.

edit: it's not shareware, but the license is very reasonable (I believe a site license for our entire school is $70) There's a trial version if I recall correctly.

The best open-source plotting software on the planet is, without a doubt, gnuplot. I suggest downloading the Cygwin Unix-like environment for Windows, which includes gnuplot. Gnuplot will present a brief learning curve, but it's free and incredibly powerful.

I should also mention that Maxima uses gnuplot for its plotting work.

- Warren

Thank you very much, I knew there had to be something better.

Related to Graphing Software: What Do Most People Use?

What is graphing software?

Graphing software is a type of computer program that is used to create visual representations of data through graphs and charts. It allows users to input data and manipulate it in various ways to create meaningful and easy-to-understand visualizations.

Why do people use graphing software?

People use graphing software for a variety of reasons, such as analyzing and presenting data in a visual format, identifying trends and patterns, and making data-driven decisions. It is widely used in fields such as science, finance, and business.

What are the most commonly used graphing software?

Some of the most commonly used graphing software include Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, Tableau, and MATLAB. These are popular choices because they offer a wide range of features, are user-friendly, and can handle large datasets.

What features should I look for in graphing software?

When choosing graphing software, it is important to consider features such as the ability to create different types of graphs, customization options, data analysis tools, and compatibility with different data formats. It is also helpful to consider the level of technical support and user-friendliness of the software.

Is graphing software easy to learn and use?

The ease of learning and using graphing software varies depending on the specific program and the user's level of experience. Some software may have a steeper learning curve, while others are more intuitive and user-friendly. However, most graphing software offer tutorials, help guides, and customer support to assist users in getting started and using the software effectively.