Graphing & Scales Help: Applying 1:300 & 1:20 Scales

• Thread starter twenty5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the person is seeking advice on how to apply scales of 1:300 for the horizontal axis and 1:20 for the vertical axis on a 17x22 inch vellum piece of paper. They are struggling to understand how to use these scales and are looking for examples or solutions. They mention that the graph may not fit on the paper, but they have ultimately figured it out.
twenty5

Homework Statement

Just looking for some advice!
I have numbers that range from 200 - 300 for the Y axis
and I got some numbers that range from 0 - 17 for the X axis.

(what the numbers basically mean is 200-300 are the elevations for each station of 0-17 on the X axis.

I've been asked to use 1:300 scale for the Horizontal Axis and 1:20 scale for the vertical axis.

I'm totally lost. What I've been trying to figure out is, how the scales are applied. I have a 17x22 Inch vellum piece of paper. All help would be greatly appreciated!

Homework Equations

Horizontal scale 1:300
Vertical Scale 1:20

The Attempt at a Solution

this is from one of my college courses, but there wasn't really any examples given to us. It feels very straight foward but the scales didn't make sense to me. If anyone could, please, just reply with a brief example or solution, and I will try to work it out. Thanks so much in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
the attempt I took so far, as of now is 3.33cm = 1 for the bottom scale... 17 times...

more info, people have also said that there is barely enough room for the graph. and I would assume this would be fine since there is also barely enough room for the graph. I am about to do the vertical scale. Likely going to mess it up. but all help is still welcome.. :( thanks

ah nvm. I've figured it out. Thanks for your time and views :)

Related to Graphing & Scales Help: Applying 1:300 & 1:20 Scales

What is a scale and why is it important in graphing?

A scale is a ratio or proportion used in graphing to represent the relationship between distances on a graph and distances in the real world. It is important because it allows us to accurately interpret and compare data on a graph.

What is the difference between a 1:300 scale and a 1:20 scale?

The difference between a 1:300 scale and a 1:20 scale is the ratio of distance on the graph to distance in the real world. In a 1:300 scale, one unit on the graph represents 300 units in the real world, while in a 1:20 scale, one unit on the graph represents 20 units in the real world.

How do I apply a 1:300 scale to a graph?

To apply a 1:300 scale to a graph, you will need to determine the units used on the graph (e.g. inches, centimeters) and then multiply the distance on the graph by 300 to get the corresponding distance in the real world. For example, if a line on the graph is 2 inches long, it would represent 600 inches in the real world.

Can I use different scales in the same graph?

Yes, you can use different scales in the same graph as long as you clearly label which scale is being used for each data set. This can be useful when comparing data with different ranges or units of measurement.

What are some common mistakes to avoid when using scales in graphing?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using scales in graphing include using the wrong scale, not labeling the units correctly, and not properly scaling the axes. It is important to double check your calculations and labels to ensure accuracy in your graph.