Graphing Histograms with # Bins (General Question)

• Thread starter doubled
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, when determining the range each bin covers in a histogram, it depends on what you are trying to show. You can either bin by a certain number of years or define age ranges. The width of each bin does not necessarily have to be the same. When given a template with maximum and minimum values, the range can be calculated by dividing the difference between the maximum and minimum by the number of bins.
doubled
If you're given a set of data and asked to plot the histogram with x amount of bins. How do you determine which range each bin covers?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that depends on what you're trying to show.

Say you had data for a whole range of people from infants to centenarians.

You could bin by:
- every ten years
- every 20 years

or you could define age ranges:
- infants 0-8 years
- preteens 9-15
- teens 16-21
- yuppies 22-50,
- baby boomers 51-64
- seniors 65-80
- centenarians 81-100+

The binning choice is yours use it wisely to convey what you need to convey.

Thanks. The width of each bin should be the same right?

doubled said:
Thanks. The width of each bin should be the same right?

No, not necessarily. Look at the previous posting. Are the bin widths for teens the same as for yuppies or baby boomers?

Ah I see. I see. So I guess it's a subjective thing.

I was given a problem with the following 10 data ptns:
289.1 269.6 270.7 277.5 279 267.8 283.7 271 261.9 282.6

I attached this problem.

I was asked to "calculate and plot the histogram with 3 bins."
I'm not sure what they mean by calculate. Think it's just an unnecessary word in the instructions.

Anyway, I was given a template for the plot. On the x-axis the template they gave goes from 260-290 in increments of 5. So from common sense I would have my ranges as 260-270, 270-280, 290-300.

If you're given a template with the maximum and minimum values, would it set the range as the (maximum-minimum)/# of bins?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 368

Related to Graphing Histograms with # Bins (General Question)

1. What is a histogram?

A histogram is a type of graph used to display the distribution of continuous numerical data. It consists of a series of rectangles, where each rectangle represents a class or range of data values, and the height of the rectangle represents the frequency or count of data values falling within that class.

2. What is the purpose of using a histogram?

The purpose of using a histogram is to visually summarize and understand the distribution of a dataset. It allows for the identification of patterns, outliers, and the overall shape of the data. This can be useful for making comparisons, detecting trends, and making predictions.

3. What are # bins in a histogram?

Bins in a histogram refer to the class intervals or ranges of data values. The number of bins determines the granularity or level of detail in the histogram. A higher number of bins will result in a more detailed histogram, while a lower number of bins will result in a more generalized histogram.

4. How do you determine the number of bins to use in a histogram?

The number of bins to use in a histogram can be determined using various methods, such as the square root rule, Sturges' formula, or the Freedman-Diaconis rule. These methods take into account the sample size and range of the data to calculate an appropriate number of bins for the histogram.

5. Can the number of bins in a histogram affect the interpretation of the data?

Yes, the number of bins in a histogram can affect the interpretation of the data. Too few bins can oversimplify the data and hide important patterns or trends, while too many bins can make the data difficult to interpret. It is important to choose an appropriate number of bins to accurately represent the distribution of the data.