Graphing f(x)=2^2+9/5x^2+2: Imaginary #s

• Thread starter Rasine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graphing
In summary, the equation for a graph of f(x)=2^2+9/5x^2+2 is a quadratic equation with complex coefficients and cannot be graphed on a traditional x-y coordinate plane because it involves imaginary numbers. A function with imaginary numbers can be graphed on a complex plane, where the x-axis represents the real numbers and the y-axis represents the imaginary numbers. The "i" in the equation stands for the imaginary unit and is used to represent imaginary numbers in mathematics. A function with imaginary numbers can have real solutions, which can be found using the quadratic formula or by completing the square. These solutions can then be graphed on the complex plane.
Rasine
i need to graph f(x)=2^2+9/5x^2+2

the vertical asym. would be the i squareroot10/2 ?

if that is correct how do i graph an imaginary #

Physics news on Phys.org
You're telling me you need to graph

[tex]9/5x^2+6[/tex]

?

no in the numerator is: 2x^2+9
denomorator is: 5x^2+2

So it is

[tex]\frac{2x^2+9}{5x^2+2}[/tex]

and you have to sketch the graph?

It has horizontal asymptote at y=2/5 and no vertical asymptotes since the denominator is never zero.

thank you very much

Yes,asymptotes (especially vertical ones) refer to REAL values for numbers...

Daniel.

Related to Graphing f(x)=2^2+9/5x^2+2: Imaginary #s

1. What is the equation for a graph of f(x)=2^2+9/5x^2+2?

The equation for a graph of f(x)=2^2+9/5x^2+2 is a quadratic equation with complex coefficients. It cannot be graphed on a traditional x-y coordinate plane because it would involve imaginary numbers.

2. How do you graph a function with imaginary numbers?

A function with imaginary numbers cannot be graphed on a traditional x-y coordinate plane. Instead, it can be graphed on a complex plane where the x-axis represents the real numbers and the y-axis represents the imaginary numbers.

3. What does the "i" in the equation stand for?

The "i" in the equation stands for the imaginary unit, which is equal to the square root of -1. It is used to represent imaginary numbers in mathematics.

4. Can a function with imaginary numbers have real solutions?

Yes, a function with imaginary numbers can have real solutions. In fact, the graph of f(x)=2^2+9/5x^2+2 intersects the x-axis at two points, which are the real solutions of the equation.

5. How do you solve a function with imaginary numbers?

To solve a function with imaginary numbers, you can use the quadratic formula or complete the square to find the complex solutions. These solutions can then be graphed on the complex plane.