H: Can Aluminum Stop Magnetic Force? | Debunking a Common Misconception

• Thread starter Kgaul
  • Start date
In summary, there is a common misconception that aluminum can stop magnetic force. However, this is not entirely true. While aluminum is not magnetic, it is still affected by magnetic fields and can even become magnetized itself. Therefore, it cannot completely block or neutralize magnetic force. Other materials, such as iron or steel, are much better at shielding against magnetic fields.
Kgaul
Ok my question is this, can Aluminum (i can't spell) Stop magnetic force?

KG

Physics news on Phys.org
Nope.

Hi Kgaul,

Originally posted by Kgaul
Ok my question is this, can Aluminum stop magnetic force?

KG

The spelling looks ok to me but I don't know how the Brits spell it but they pronounce it al-u-min'-ium.

Feynman tells us that it has been shown experimentally that aluminum is diamagnetic. So is Bismuth. Aluminum is attracted toward the pointed south pole of a strong electromagnet (direction of ferro magnetic material) while Bismuth is repelled from the south pole.
cheers, Jim

1. Can aluminum block magnetic fields?

Yes, aluminum can block magnetic fields. However, the strength of the magnetic field and the thickness and composition of the aluminum will determine the effectiveness of blocking.

2. Is it true that aluminum can stop magnetic force?

No, aluminum cannot completely stop magnetic force. It can weaken or redirect the magnetic field, but it cannot completely eliminate it.

3. Why do people think that aluminum can stop magnetic force?

This is a common misconception because aluminum is often used in products that are marketed as being able to block magnetic fields, such as RFID blocking wallets or phone cases. However, these products typically have additional layers of materials that actually block the magnetic field, not the aluminum itself.

4. Can aluminum be used to shield against magnetic fields?

Yes, aluminum can be used as a shield against magnetic fields, but it may not be as effective as other materials such as iron or steel. It also depends on the strength of the magnetic field and the thickness of the aluminum shield.

5. Is there any scientific evidence to support the idea that aluminum can stop magnetic force?

No, there is no scientific evidence to support this idea. In fact, scientific experiments have shown that aluminum alone does not have the ability to completely block or stop magnetic fields.