Graphical Analysis of Motion: Investigating Velocity and Acceleration

In summary, the conversation discusses the type of motion experienced by a cart rolling down a ramp, the comparison of average and instantaneous velocity, the applicability of the conclusion to non-uniform acceleration, and the reason why the average velocity vs. time graph does not pass through the origin. The data tables provided show a linear increase in average velocity, indicating that it is not constant. The conversation also mentions using midpoints for time intervals and the impossibility of using 0 as a midpoint.
Draggu

Homework Statement

1a) What type of motion does a cart experience by rolling down a ramp?

2a) Compare values of avg velocity and inst. velocity from your data tables. What conclusion can you draw?
2b) Would the same conclusion apply for non-uniform acceleration?

3. Your average velocity versus time graph may not pass through the origin. Why?

http://i45.tinypic.com/2r2yn0o.jpg

Here are my graphs; the top one is the position vs time graph and the second one is avg velocity versus time (assume it's a straight line & linear). Assume the acceleration vs time graph is also a straight horizontal line.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

1a) It experiences uniform motion because the average velocity is constant.

2a)
Avg velocity vs time
v(cm/s) t(s)
7 0.05
9 0.15
13 0.25
17 0.35
19 0.45
22 0.55
25 0.65
28 0.75
30 0.85
32 0.95
35 1.05
37 1.15
39 1.25
42 1.35
44 1.45
46 1.55
49 1.65
51 1.75
53 1.85
55 1.95
58 2.05

Inst velocity vs time
v(cm/s) t(s)
7 0.05
9 0.15
13 0.25
20 0.35
23 0.45
26 0.55
26 0.65
30 0.75
31 0.85
31 0.95
33 1.05
35 1.15
36 1.25
44 1.35
44 1.45
46 1.55
47 1.65
51 1.75
52 1.85
53 1.95
57 2.05

The values are fairly similar although avg velocity appears to be more accurate because inst. velocity pauses at certain points indicating its speed stops increasing and then suddenly starts again.

2b) I'm not sure about this, it's confusing.

3. My avg velocity vs time graph doesn't pass through the origin because i used the midpoints for each time interval, and it is impossible to use 0 as a midpoint because time cannot go negative.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your average velocity cannot be constant, look at your data, it's increasing linearly.

Keldon7 said:
Your average velocity cannot be constant, look at your data, it's increasing linearly.

Constantly increasing I mean. Is that not the same?

Related to Graphical Analysis of Motion: Investigating Velocity and Acceleration

What is graphical analysis of motion?

Graphical analysis of motion is a method used to represent the motion of an object through visual representations, such as graphs and charts. It allows scientists to analyze the various aspects of an object's motion, including its speed, acceleration, and displacement.

What are the types of graphs used in graphical analysis of motion?

The most commonly used graphs in graphical analysis of motion are position vs. time graphs, velocity vs. time graphs, and acceleration vs. time graphs. These graphs help to visualize the changes in an object's motion over time.

How do you interpret a position vs. time graph?

A position vs. time graph shows the change in an object's position over time. The slope of the graph represents the object's velocity, while the area under the curve represents the object's displacement. A straight line on the graph indicates a constant velocity, while a curved line indicates a changing velocity.

What information can be determined from a velocity vs. time graph?

A velocity vs. time graph shows the change in an object's velocity over time. The slope of the graph represents the object's acceleration, while the area under the curve represents the object's change in displacement. A horizontal line on the graph indicates constant velocity, while a curved line indicates a changing velocity.

Why is graphical analysis of motion important in scientific research?

Graphical analysis of motion allows scientists to visually represent and analyze the motion of an object, providing a deeper understanding of its behavior. It also allows for the identification of patterns or relationships between different variables, which can help in the development of scientific theories and models.