Graphic representation of xantoprotheic reaction

In summary, the speaker is seeking help with representing the xantoprotheic reaction they conducted in the lab. They are unsure of what the final result should be, as the expected product, NaNO3, is white and not yellow. After some research, they discover that the yellow precipitate is actually a xanthoprotein, which is formed when the protein becomes insoluble due to modification. The exact process of how this occurs is not clearly explained in most sources. The speaker speculates that the resulting compound could be a high or low density compound, possibly made of aromatic generic carboxylic acids, which would explain its solid and non-soluble properties.
Weissritter

Homework Statement

O hai,[STRIKE] my minions.
[/STRIKE]
So...we made the xantoprotheic reaction in the lab, but I have to attach the representation of the reaction. I haven't found it anywhere. So I came to you.

Homework Equations

Protein + NaNO3→(180s@373K)→(room temp) + NaOH→ Weird yellow precipitate, possibly more than two compounds

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm clueless about the answer. It could be NaNO3, but that salt is white, and not yellow, so something else could appear in the final result. What I am missing?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I was able to google the answer is 2 minutes. It is not a salt. Protein gets modified in a way that makes it insoluble (and no, it is not just a simple denaturation).

After some weird results, the answer is apparently a xanthoprotein. Most of sources, however, simply say "the yellow thing is a xanthoprotein", while never saying how it is made. On another source, it simply says "becomes yellow because nitro-compounds are formed.
But wait! Borek said they become insoluble...that means it is either a very high, or very low density compound, which could mean the huge protein is...broken into not-so-huge aromatic, carboxylic acids, possibly?
Also, they become sort of solid, which means the yellow thing, if organic, is a long-chain compound, which makes it solid. The long chain also means it becomes apolar and water-non-soluble.
So...aromatic generic carboxyacids, maybe? Maybe that's a xanthoprotein.
And yes, I looked at the preffix 'xantho-'. It is a category of crabs. Not very useful,

Related to Graphic representation of xantoprotheic reaction

1. What is a graphic representation of xantoprotheic reaction?

A graphic representation of xantoprotheic reaction is a visual representation of the chemical reaction that occurs between xanthoproteins and concentrated nitric acid. It shows the changes in color that occur during the reaction and can be used to identify the presence of xanthoproteins in a substance.

2. How is a graphic representation of xantoprotheic reaction created?

A graphic representation of xantoprotheic reaction is created by mixing a substance containing xanthoproteins with concentrated nitric acid. The resulting color changes are then observed and recorded in a graph or chart.

3. What is the purpose of a graphic representation of xantoprotheic reaction?

The purpose of a graphic representation of xantoprotheic reaction is to visually represent the presence of xanthoproteins in a substance. This can be useful in various fields, such as food science, biology, and forensics.

4. How is a graphic representation of xantoprotheic reaction interpreted?

A graphic representation of xantoprotheic reaction is interpreted by analyzing the color changes that occur during the reaction. The presence or absence of xanthoproteins can be determined based on the observed color changes.

5. Are there any limitations to using a graphic representation of xantoprotheic reaction?

Yes, there are limitations to using a graphic representation of xantoprotheic reaction. It may not be able to accurately identify the specific type of xanthoprotein present in a substance, and the results can be affected by factors such as temperature and concentration of the reactants.