Optimizing Process Control: Calculating Mass Flow Rate for Natural Gas Ignitors

In summary, James found a website that calculates average natural gas density at different pressures. He calculated the average density to be .000016 lb/in^3 at 8 psi. He then tried to calculate the flow rate through the ignitor tubes but was unsuccessful. He concludes that the flow rate is not a function of pressure.
Whiskey Sour
Neglecting friction:

I have a four inch diameter pipe that has a constant 8 psi input of natural gas(It is regulated and any psi drop throughout the pipe are negligable in this situation).

I found a site to tell me that the avg natural gas density is 0.4445 kg/m^3 at .06 MPa which I converted to .000016 lb/in^3 at 8 psi. It's close enough for me to assume there is a linear decrease in density v.s. pressure from this point on I suppose - unless that is where I'm going wrong.

This pipe has 'ignitors' which are 1 and 1/4 inch tubes leading into an unpressurized furnace.

I am wanting to also assume, initially at least, that the fire at the end of the tube has no effect (Basically 1 and 1/4 inch holes in the pipe). On other units I can manually set the pressure... and after it ignites, pressure does not noticably change.

I have researched and tried and failed and I cannot come up with mass flow rate through either of the tubes. I've focussed on the Bernoilli equation - but velocity on either side of my equation is unknown.

Any suggestions? A calculation would be a lot cheaper than trying to measure the flow like I have on other units.

Also, Natural Gas is close to 1000 btu per cubic foot so my end result I feel should be around 6 - 30 million btu/hr (mmbtu/hr) output. A Main Burner with huge pipes from a 1 psi 20" source supplys 150 million btu/hr - so it will not be close to that, and a class 2 ignitor by NFPA must be 4 % of that total - so it's not lower than 3 million btu/hr.

Help? James

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Whiskey Sour.

Perhaps my solution does not like you, but is the simplest one. You say pressure in the pipe does not change although ignitors are switched on, and you state the pipe discharges to an unpressurized furnice (discharge pressure Pa=0).
With this, I can assume that Mach number Ma=1 inside of the pipe, whose behaviour would be similar to a converging nozzle. Thus, mass flow is not a function of pressures. The real discharge pressure Ps of the flow is determined by means of the boundary condition Ma=1:

(Po/Ps)^(g-1/g)=1+(g-1)/2Ma^2 we obtain Ps (over expanded jet)

mass flow: G=rho*a*((g+1)/2)^((-g-1)/2(g-1)) where

rho=density in the inlet tank of gas,
a=sound speed in the inlet take of gas.

You can check that rho*a only depends of Po=8psi and To=?.

As you can see, I have seen the problem like a pipe whose entrance is connected to a large tank of gas with pressure 8psi, and discharges to vacumm.

Sorry, I have forgotten that g=adiabatic constant=1.4.

1. How do you calculate the mass flow rate for natural gas ignitors?

The mass flow rate for natural gas ignitors can be calculated using the formula: mass flow rate = density x velocity x cross-sectional area. The density of natural gas can be found in gas tables, the velocity can be measured using a flow meter, and the cross-sectional area can be calculated based on the size and shape of the ignitor.

2. Why is it important to optimize process control for natural gas ignitors?

Optimizing process control for natural gas ignitors is important because it ensures efficient and safe operation. By accurately calculating the mass flow rate, the correct amount of fuel can be supplied to the ignitor, which leads to optimal combustion and reduces the risk of hazards such as incomplete combustion or flame instability.

3. What factors can affect the mass flow rate for natural gas ignitors?

Several factors can affect the mass flow rate for natural gas ignitors, including changes in gas temperature and pressure, variations in fuel composition, and changes in the size or shape of the ignitor. Other factors such as blockages in the gas line or issues with the flow meter can also impact the mass flow rate.

4. How can inaccurate mass flow rate calculations impact natural gas ignitors?

Inaccurate mass flow rate calculations can have several negative impacts on natural gas ignitors. If the flow rate is too low, the ignitor may not receive enough fuel for proper combustion, leading to a weak or unstable flame. On the other hand, if the flow rate is too high, it can result in excessive fuel consumption and potential safety hazards like flashback or explosion.

5. Is there a standard or recommended mass flow rate for natural gas ignitors?

There is no specific standard or recommended mass flow rate for natural gas ignitors as it can vary depending on several factors such as the type of ignitor, operating conditions, and desired flame characteristics. It is important to calculate the mass flow rate for each specific application to ensure optimal performance and safety.