Guardian: The Semantic Engineer

• Thread starter FZ+
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, Dennett believes that a secular world is one that would be better for us, but he warns of the dangers of people who want to impose their beliefs on everyone.
FZ+
A review of a biography of Dennett, no less. Has some stuff on his life, and some on his philosophy. Quite interesting, in my opinion.

http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,1192975,00.html

Dan Dennett is a sailor, with a billowing white beard and moustaches that he twiddles when thinking. He uses "salty" as a term of praise and has just bought a 42ft boat that sleeps five and could, if he wished, cross the Atlantic. His passion for sailing may be the best way to approach his philosophy. In both, un-charted and dangerous areas are to be navigated by explorers ingeniously equipped.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yeah that was special, wasn't it? I notice the article says he was born in Beirut, but the description below the article says New England.

I read it. I agree very interesting. I like how he said he was 'a Yankee optimist' rather catchy phrase.

I know Dennett is currently writing a new book called "Breaking The Spell", I will anticipate it greatly. Same with you?

Boy, that picture sure looks like it goes all the back to antiquity!

I have absolutely no doubt that the secular and scientific vision is right and deserves to be endorsed by everybody, and as we have seen over the last few thousand years, superstitious and religious doctrines will just have to give way.
Oh, I like that. Isn't that the same thing as saying only our religion is the true religion? :biggrin:

I guess we all know where he stands on any notion of Creator now don't we?

Oh good another fundamentalist nutter who needs to prove to the world what he already 'knows' to be true anyway.

Overdose said:
Oh good another fundamentalist nutter who needs to prove to the world what he already 'knows' to be true anyway.
I think there's plenty of foolishness to go around for everyone, don't you?

Calling names is futile. If you don't like somebody's ideas, then refute them if you can. I don't think the creator/non creator dialogue will ever end.

Oh, I like that. Isn't that the same thing as saying only our religion is the true religion?

No, since the secular and scientific vision Dennett outlines is more or less the antithesis of what he considers to be religions. Notice the word 'vision', as opposed to principle, or dogma, or whatever. Vision here is a goal, an idea of how the world should be organised.

As he said: "The trouble with the word atheism is that there are so many different concepts of God it would be foolish to take them all on at once and say they are all rubbish."

He is saying that a secular world is one he would like to live in, and it would be the way our life and way of thought will evolve. He skirts carefully away from declaring any sort of absolute truth.

I found the sales pitch very interesting.

FZ+ said:
[Dennett] is saying that a secular world is one he would like to live in, and it would be the way our life and way of thought will evolve.

I think Dennett should be careful; he may end up getting what he's asking for...

I don't think we live in an ideal world, but I'm really wary of people who think the world would be better only if it were the way they think it should be. When they act on their ideas, those kinds of people usually end up making the world a lot worse than it is.

As far as I'm concerned, a secular world would not have the music of J. S. Bach. That alone would not make me want to live in it.

1. What is "Guardian: The Semantic Engineer"?

"Guardian: The Semantic Engineer" is a science fiction novel written by author and scientist, Dr. Ken Liu. It follows the story of a young engineer who discovers a way to communicate with an advanced alien race through the use of a new semantic language.

2. Is "Guardian: The Semantic Engineer" based on real science?

While the novel is a work of fiction, it is heavily influenced by real scientific concepts such as linguistics, semiotics, and artificial intelligence. Dr. Ken Liu, the author, is also a scientist and has incorporated his knowledge and research into the story.

3. What makes "Guardian: The Semantic Engineer" unique compared to other science fiction novels?

"Guardian: The Semantic Engineer" stands out for its exploration of linguistics and communication with alien species. It also delves into deeper themes such as the nature of consciousness and the consequences of technology on society. The novel is also praised for its well-developed characters and thought-provoking plot.

4. Is "Guardian: The Semantic Engineer" suitable for all ages?

The novel is recommended for readers aged 16 and above, as it contains mature themes and some violence. However, younger readers who are interested in science fiction and have a strong grasp of language and technology concepts may also enjoy the book.

5. Will there be a sequel to "Guardian: The Semantic Engineer"?

As of now, there are no plans for a sequel to "Guardian: The Semantic Engineer". However, the author has not ruled out the possibility in the future. In the meantime, readers can enjoy other works by Dr. Ken Liu, who has written numerous short stories, novellas, and novels in the science fiction genre.

Back