Graph Theory. Decomposition of K_{2n+1} into hamiltonian cycles.

In summary, the theorem states that there exist $n$ edge disjoint Hamiltonian cycles in the complete graph $K_{2n+1}$, and this can be proven non-constructively using permutations and cycle decomposition. It is also equivalent to the statement that $K_{2n}$ can be decomposed into $n$ Hamiltonian paths. Additionally, if $2n+1$ is a prime number, there is a trivial construction using cycles. A potential proof using group theory has been suggested on "mathoverflow".
caffeinemachine
Gold Member
MHB
Theorem: Prove that there exist $n$ edge disjoint Hamiltonian cycles in the complete graph $K_{2n+1}$.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have found two constructive proofs of this over the internet. But I would like to prove it non-constructively.

This question can be easily framed in terms of permutations. One has to prove that in $S_{2n+1}$ there exist $n$ permutations $\sigma_1, \ldots, \sigma_n$ such that the cycle decomposition of each contains exactly one cycles and that if two elements of $\{ 1,2,\ldots , 2n+1 \}$ appear consecutively in the cycle decomposition of $\sigma_i$ then then they don't appear consecutively in the cycle decomposition of $\sigma_j \, \forall j \neq i$.

For example, consider $S_5$. Then $\sigma_1 = (1 \, 2 \, 3 \, 4 \, 5)$ and $\sigma_2 = (1 \, 3 \, 5 \, 2 \, 4)$ fill the bill.

The theorem is also equivalent to the following:
$K_{2n}$ can be decomposed into $n$ Hamiltonian paths.

Physics news on Phys.org
caffeinemachine said:
Theorem: Prove that there exist $n$ edge disjoint Hamiltonian cycles in the complete graph $K_{2n+1}$.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have found two constructive proofs of this over the internet. But I would like to prove it non-constructively.

This question can be easily framed in terms of permutations. One has to prove that in $S_{2n+1}$ there exist $n$ permutations $\sigma_1, \ldots, \sigma_n$ such that the cycle decomposition of each contains exactly one cycles and that if two elements of $\{ 1,2,\ldots , 2n+1 \}$ appear consecutively in the cycle decomposition of $\sigma_i$ then then they don't appear consecutively in the cycle decomposition of $\sigma_j \, \forall j \neq i$.

For example, consider $S_5$. Then $\sigma_1 = (1 \, 2 \, 3 \, 4 \, 5)$ and $\sigma_2 = (1 \, 3 \, 5 \, 2 \, 4)$ fill the bill.

If $2n+1$ is a prime then there is a trivial construction.
The cycles $(1, \, 1+i, \, 1+2i, \, \ldots , \, 1+2ni), i \in \{1,2, \ldots , n \}$ do the job.

caffeinemachine said:

Hi caffainmachine, :)

I don't know the answer to your question, however I found that the exact same question is asked in "mathoverflow".

Link: Hamilton Paths in $K_{2n}$ - MathOverflow

Note that in the answer given it says,

"More generally, a symmetric sequencing in a group with a single involution is sufficient to construct the decomposition."

I don't have a clear understanding about what this statement means, however just thought of quoting it here 'cause I felt that it might lead to a Group theoretical proof to your question.

Kind Regards,
Sudharaka.

Related to Graph Theory. Decomposition of K_{2n+1} into hamiltonian cycles.

1. What is graph theory?

Graph theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the properties of graphs, which are mathematical structures used to model pairwise relations between objects.

2. What is decomposition in graph theory?

Decomposition in graph theory refers to breaking down a larger graph into smaller, simpler graphs or subgraphs. This allows for easier analysis and understanding of the original graph.

3. What is K_{2n+1}?

K_{2n+1} is a complete graph with an odd number of vertices. This means that every pair of distinct vertices are connected by an edge, and the graph has no isolated vertices. It can also be referred to as an odd cycle graph.

4. What is a Hamiltonian cycle?

A Hamiltonian cycle is a path in a graph that visits every vertex exactly once and ends at the starting vertex. In other words, it is a cycle that goes through every vertex in the graph without repeating any vertices.

5. How can a K_{2n+1} graph be decomposed into Hamiltonian cycles?

A K_{2n+1} graph can be decomposed into Hamiltonian cycles by dividing the graph into smaller, simpler subgraphs and then finding a Hamiltonian cycle in each subgraph. These cycles can then be combined to form a decomposition of the original graph into Hamiltonian cycles.