Graph sol. of Dirac eq., type "graph paper" needed?

In summary, a "graph paper" with minimum dimensions is needed to graph an arbitrary solution of the Dirac equation in 3+1 dimensional spacetime. Each component of the Dirac 4 vector has 5 dimensions - you do the math.
Spinnor
Gold Member
What type of "graph paper" do I need to graph an arbitrary solution, Ψ, of the Dirac equation in 3+1 dimensional spacetime? Assume the "graph paper" has the minimum dimensions required to do the job.

Would this work? At each point of spacetime we need a complex plane which takes care of the magnitude and phase of Ψ. The spinor part of Ψ is graphed on a pair of properly ruled three-spheres, S^3 (do we need to allow for the spin part of Ψ vary with spacetime?).

So we need 4 dimensions for spacetime, 2 dimensions for the complex plane, 6 dimensions for the two three-spheres, 8 dimensions at each point in spacetime, so we need 12 dimensional graph paper?

Or could we cheat and approximately graph an arbitrary solution of of the Dirac equation by having a set of 4 (or 3?) independent complex vectors at each point of spacetime?

Thanks for any help!

Edit, I think I may have made things more complicated then needed. I think I was told in a thread that a time varying phase times a spinor just moves a point in S^3 on some "orbit" in S^3 so that the above can be simplified a bit?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Spinnor said:
What type of "graph paper" do I need to graph an arbitrary solution, Ψ, of the Dirac equation in 3+1 dimensional spacetime? Assume the "graph paper" has the minimum dimensions required to do the job.

Each component of the Dirac 4 vector has 5 dimensions - you do the math.

Thanks
Bill

bhobba said:
Each component of the Dirac 4 vector has 5 dimensions - you do the math.

Thanks
Bill
I could not make any sense out of the OP or your answer to it. Can you tell me, what is this "Dirac 4 vector"? And, how is it that "each component" of this "4 vector" has "5 dimensions"?

samalkhaiat said:
I could not make any sense out of the OP or your answer to it. Can you tell me, what is this "Dirac 4 vector"? And, how is it that "each component" of this "4 vector" has "5 dimensions"?

The solution to the Dirac equation is a four component vector of 4 wave-functions:
http://www.nyu.edu/classes/tuckerman/quant.mech/lectures/lecture_7/node1.html

Each wave-function requires 4 parameters - 3 of space and one of time to specify a complex number. But a complex number requires two parameters so you have 5 dimensions not 4. But you have 4 of them so it requires 8 numbers at each point in space time. Hence 12 dimensions.

That's in so far as I interpreted the OP's question correctly - as you point out its rather obscure.

Thanks
Bill

Thanks for the replys, nothing like asking a question to realize on further reflection that what little I knew was even smaller then that.

I was trying to include three-spheres into my graphing problem because we know there is a relationship between them and spinors, namely a point on a three-sphere can be represented by a normalized two-component spinor, see post 3, in the following thread,

https://www.physicsforums.com/threa...-by-a-2-component-spinor.603404/#post-3899072

If the spinors are not normalized I think then I have problems? How if at all can I still use some three-spheres in my graphing problem?

Also in the same thread I was told that multiplying a spinor times a simple time dependent phase produces an orbit of a point in the three-sphere. Not sure how that fact can help in my problem.

Thanks for any and all help!

Related to Graph sol. of Dirac eq., type "graph paper" needed?

1. What is the Dirac equation?

The Dirac equation is a relativistic quantum mechanical equation that describes the behavior of fermions, such as electrons, in a quantum mechanical system.

2. How is the Dirac equation solved?

The Dirac equation can be solved using a variety of mathematical techniques, including separation of variables and matrix diagonalization. The solutions are known as Dirac spinors and can be represented as wave functions.

3. What is meant by "graph solutions" of the Dirac equation?

Graph solutions of the Dirac equation refer to the visualization of the mathematical solutions on a graph, typically using a coordinate system such as Cartesian or polar coordinates. This can help to better understand the behavior and characteristics of the solutions.

4. Why is graph paper needed to study the solutions of the Dirac equation?

Graph paper is useful for studying the solutions of the Dirac equation because it provides a visual representation of the solutions and allows for the plotting of the wave functions. This can aid in understanding the behavior and properties of the solutions.

5. Can any type of graph paper be used to study the solutions of the Dirac equation?

Yes, any type of graph paper can be used as long as it has a suitable coordinate system. However, polar coordinate graph paper is often preferred for studying solutions of the Dirac equation as it is useful for visualizing wave functions in three dimensions.