Graph Scale Problems: Solve 0.001-0.123 Range Issues

In summary, the author is having trouble finding a good scale for a graph he is drawing and is looking for suggestions. He has found an alright scale but it still looks weird. He needs to find the gradient of the curve.
_Mayday_
Hey!

I am having real issues finding a good scale for a graph I am drawing. Most of the data is around 0.001 to 0.005 but then there are a few that are all way up at 0.123. I am really having trouble finding a scale for all of this. I can find a scale, but not without having to squash half of the graph together, which leads to a lot of inaccuracys in terms of plotting points. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps you can avoid a few points that are too close together, and fix a suitable scale. Also, what shape are you graphing exactly? You could use graphing software, if accuracy is paramount.

I have about 7 readings, 5 of them are near 0.001 and 2 are at the 0.123 end. I need to draw it out as well. It is a straigh line through the axis, that then levels off at the rop.

Is there any way you can redo the experiment to get values nearby? You can have two graphs for the two separate regions if you want and show imaginary extrapolation, but it won't look nice.

Maybe you should display your data for us, all of it, and somebody can give you more precise suggestions. Could your data fit well onto semi-log paper? Alternatively, could you treat one scale of values by finding logarithm of the x or the y first, and then graph onto cartesian paper?

Okay, I have found an alright scale, it still looks a bit weird but ok. Now I need to find the gradient of this curve. It is extremely steep initially and then peaks and is extremely shallow at the end, how would I find the gradient of this? Would I need to draw a tangent? If so then where?

It kinda looks like this. (I only mean the shape not the topic the graph is on)

http://acs.confex.com/acs/werm05/techprogram/images/24298-0.gif

One way to handle issues with points that don't all fit on the same scale is to split your axis (and any lines connecting points where the axis splits, if appropriate) so that below the split you have a smaller scale, and above the split a larger scale. Alternatively, you can plot everything on a large scale to fit in the highest values, and then add an inset graph showing the lower values in detail on a smaller scale.

Related to Graph Scale Problems: Solve 0.001-0.123 Range Issues

1. How do I determine the appropriate scale for a graph?

The scale for a graph should be determined based on the range of values you want to display and the purpose of the graph. For example, if you want to show precise measurements, a scale with smaller intervals may be appropriate. If you want to show a general trend, a larger scale with bigger intervals may be more suitable.

2. What is the significance of a 0.001-0.123 range in a graph?

A 0.001-0.123 range in a graph indicates that the values being displayed are very small and may require a more detailed scale to accurately represent them. This range could also suggest that the data being presented has very precise measurements.

3. How can I solve range issues in my graph?

To solve range issues in a graph, you can adjust the scale to better fit the data. This could involve changing the interval size or expanding the range to include more values. You could also consider using a logarithmic scale if the data has a large range of values.

4. What is the difference between a linear and logarithmic scale?

A linear scale is evenly spaced, meaning each interval represents an equal difference in value. A logarithmic scale, on the other hand, increases by a factor of the base value with each interval. This type of scale is useful for displaying data with a wide range of values, as it compresses the data and makes it easier to compare.

5. Can I use a non-linear scale for my graph?

Yes, you can use a non-linear scale for your graph if it better represents the data being presented. However, it is important to consider the purpose of the graph and if a non-linear scale will accurately convey the information to the intended audience.