Graph of double absolute values

In summary: And the intersection of these four inequalities is the region in the plane that solves the original inequality, |x| + |y| ≤ 1. In summary, the region in the plane that solves the inequality |x| + |y| ≤ 1 is the intersection of the four inequalities x + y ≤ 1, x - y ≤ 1, -x + y ≤ 1, and -x - y ≤ 1.
robertmatthew

Homework Statement

|x| + |y| ≤ 1
What is the region in the plane that solves this inequality?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried graphing it by isolating the y variable
|y| ≤ -|x| + 1
Then I looked at the hint we were given, which was to assume that x and y are both positive, so I treated it as if it were written
y ≤ -x+1
And then constructed a graph of a line that was basically y = -x+1 with a domain of [0,3]
But then what threw me off is that the y variable does have the absolute value bars, so there can't be negative y values in the graph, right? So now I'm thinking I just have to flip the part of the graph so that it more closely resembles y=|x-1| in the domain of [0,3]. Is that correct or am I completely missing this?

Physics news on Phys.org
robertmatthew said:
I first tried graphing it by isolating the y variable
|y| ≤ -|x| + 1
Then I looked at the hint we were given, which was to assume that x and y are both positive, so I treated it as if it were written
y ≤ -x+1
And then constructed a graph of a line that was basically y = -x+1 with a domain of [0,3]
I'm not sure how can the domain be [0, 3]. Can you put any value between and including 0 & 3 in for x in |x| + |y| ≤ 1?

What I would do is graph the four inequalities. (Yes, there are four; can you figure out what they would be? You have one of them: y ≤ -x+1.) The intersection of the four graphs would serve as the graph of |x| + |y| ≤ 1.

I don't think I actually meant domain, that's my bad. I meant my line went from x=0 to x=3 just because of the size of my graph.

Are the inequalities:
x + y ≤ 1
x - y ≤ 1
-x + y ≤ 1
-x - y ≤ 1

robertmatthew said:
Are the inequalities:
x + y ≤ 1
x - y ≤ 1
-x + y ≤ 1
-x - y ≤ 1
Yes.

Related to Graph of double absolute values

What is a graph of double absolute values?

A graph of double absolute values is a type of graph that plots the absolute values of two variables against each other. This type of graph is often used to visualize relationships between two variables that have a linear or nonlinear relationship.

How is a graph of double absolute values different from other types of graphs?

A graph of double absolute values differs from other types of graphs in that it plots the absolute values of two variables, rather than the actual values. This can help to eliminate negative values and focus on the magnitude of the relationship between the two variables.

What are the advantages of using a graph of double absolute values?

One advantage of using a graph of double absolute values is that it can help to simplify complex relationships between two variables. It also allows for easier comparison between the two variables, as the y-axis will always be positive.

How do you interpret a graph of double absolute values?

To interpret a graph of double absolute values, you should look at the direction and steepness of the line. A positive slope indicates a positive relationship between the two variables, while a negative slope indicates a negative relationship. The steeper the slope, the stronger the relationship.

What are some common uses for a graph of double absolute values?

A graph of double absolute values is often used in scientific research to analyze and visualize relationships between two variables. It can also be used in fields such as economics, engineering, and statistics to analyze data and make predictions.