Understanding the Meaning of MeV/C²: A Beginner's Guide to Physics

• Thread starter Blueice88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Doubt
In summary, the poster is asking for help understanding the meaning of the formula MeV/c², which they encountered while studying physics. Another user explains that MeV is a unit of energy and that MeV/c² could be an expression for mass. They also mention the use of "natural" units in particle physics where mass, momentum, and energy are all measured in the same units. The poster expresses their gratitude for the explanation and remarks that the formula is not as mysterious as they initially thought.
Blueice88
[SOLVED] Basic Doubt

Hi All,I Want to know the meaning of this formula:MeV/C², Someone can help me?It seems like a big misterious! ;)) Sorry, i´m new in the physics.I beginning to study it,2 weeks ago.Best regards.

Blueice88

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm... It's a little ambiguous.

MeV could equal Mega electron volts, which is an unit of energy. So MeV/c^2 could be an expression for mass. (ie. E = mc^2)

:wink: Thank you very much Buddy.I think which you help me.I´m grateful.I like this forum,Congratulations for the Owner and the moderator.Best regards.

Blueice88

Yeah -- lots of times in particle physics we want to work in
"natural" units where mass, momentum, and energy all the same units. Then you will see momentum expressed in units of "eV/c" and mass in units of "eV/c^2" (or MeV etc as the case may be.)

eg 34 MeV/c^2 ~ 2e-13 J/c^2 ~ 2e-30 kg

Thanks for explanation,friend.It seems like a big misterious! ;) But it is not so hard.Best regards.

Blueice88

1. What is the meaning of MeV/C²?

MeV/C² stands for megaelectronvolt per speed of light squared. It is a unit of measurement used in physics to describe the energy of subatomic particles. It is equivalent to 1 million electronvolts divided by the speed of light squared (c²).

2. How is MeV/C² related to the theory of relativity?

In Einstein's theory of relativity, the famous equation E=mc² relates the energy (E) of an object to its mass (m) and the speed of light (c). MeV/C² is a unit of energy that is derived from this equation, as it represents a specific amount of energy per unit of mass divided by the speed of light squared.

3. What are some common examples of particles with MeV/C² energy?

Some common particles with MeV/C² energy include electrons, protons, and neutrons. For example, a proton has a mass of approximately 1 GeV/C², meaning it has a mass of 1 billion electronvolts divided by the speed of light squared.

4. How is MeV/C² used in particle accelerators?

Particle accelerators use MeV/C² as a unit of measurement to describe the energy of particles as they are accelerated to high speeds. MeV/C² is commonly used to measure the energy of particles in the Large Hadron Collider, where protons can reach energies of up to 7 TeV/C² (7 trillion electronvolts divided by the speed of light squared).

5. Can MeV/C² be converted to other units of energy?

Yes, MeV/C² can be converted to other units of energy such as joules (J) or kilowatt-hours (kWh). This can be done by using the conversion factor of 1 MeV/C² = 1.602 x 10^-13 joules. It is important to note that MeV/C² is a unit of energy per unit of mass divided by the speed of light squared, so the conversion will depend on the specific mass of the particle in question.