Graduate School Guidance. I want to be a cosmologist

In summary, the individual has had a challenging undergraduate career but is now graduating with good marks and has been accepted into a graduate program for research in quasar spectra and black holes. However, they are more interested in theoretical cosmology and particle physics and are unsure if they should accept the offer or pursue their preferred field. The individual is seeking advice on their options and the possibility of changing their research focus.
nabeel17
I had a lot of trouble in my early undergraduate career and had received some really bad grades. I retook a lot of courses and after 6 years, I am finally graduating with good marks in my third and fourth year courses and I believe I have an overall good understanding of undergraduate physics. I applied to two universities in Canada for graduate school (I am Canadian) and was accepted into one of them. The problem is, I've been accepted for research into something I am not fully interested. The research I will be doing is about quasar spectra and black holes (which is interesting in its own right) but I am very interested in theoretical cosmology and particle physics. I don't want to decline this offer because I have nothing else going for me but at the same time I wish I could go into an exact field of my interest. I'm not sure what to do and what my options are. Is it possible for me to accept this and still go into cosmology? How does one even become a theoretical physicist? Thanks for any advice or help

Physics news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
It is for 6 terms and I have been offered aprox 50k for it which seems decent. I don't know what to do. I don't want to regret my decision later. I suppose since it is my only offer, its my only choice? But I feel like theoretical cosmology is all I want to do now..

Doing research you aren't interested in is a recipe for failure in physics. The only reason to do it is passion for the subject.

I don't know how grad school works in Canada, is the money/offer tied directly to the project, or could you do something else at the same university?

e.bar.goum said:
Doing research you aren't interested in is a recipe for failure in physics.

Right. This is very good advice!

But it isn't clear to me whether the OP is interested in the project or not. Sure, he has something that he is more interested in (theoretical cosmology), but maybe he finds the current project interesting too. In that case, I would definitely go for it.

Of course, you could have the option of applying again, since you only applied to two universities, which is a bit low. But there's always a risk involved...

nabeel17 said:
It is for 6 terms and I have been offered aprox 50k for it which seems decent. I don't know what to do. I don't want to regret my decision later. I suppose since it is my only offer, its my only choice? But I feel like theoretical cosmology is all I want to do now..

I second the comment above - is your acceptance onto the PhD program dependent on you undertaking research in this area, or will you be free to move? Which university are you accepted into? (Or, if you don't want to answer, does the university you've been accepted into have faculty undertaking research in theoretical cosmology?)

Related to Graduate School Guidance. I want to be a cosmologist

1. How important is undergraduate research experience for graduate school in cosmology?

Undergraduate research experience is highly beneficial for graduate school in cosmology. It not only demonstrates your interest and dedication to the field, but also provides valuable skills and knowledge that will prepare you for graduate level research.

2. What courses should I take in undergraduate to prepare for graduate studies in cosmology?

Some recommended courses for undergraduate preparation in cosmology include physics, astronomy, mathematics, and computer science. It is also important to take courses in writing and communication to develop strong communication skills, which are essential for a successful career in science.

3. What are some important qualities or skills to have as a cosmologist?

As a cosmologist, it is important to have a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, as well as critical thinking and problem-solving skills. Good communication and collaboration skills are also important as research in cosmology often involves working with a team.

4. How can I make myself stand out in the graduate school application process for cosmology?

To stand out in the graduate school application process for cosmology, it is important to have a strong academic record, relevant research experience, and a clear and well-written personal statement. Additionally, networking and reaching out to potential advisors can help make a positive impression.

5. What are some potential career paths for graduate students in cosmology?

Graduate students in cosmology can pursue various career paths, including academic research and teaching, working in government agencies or national laboratories, or positions in the private sector such as data analysis or consulting. Many cosmologists also work in interdisciplinary fields such as astrophysics, planetary science, or data science.