Graduate school for math, Industry job outlook?

In summary, a math and physics double major with a computer science minor is a good preparation for a career in academia or in some sort of engineering job. However, going all the way through with a PhD in math may not be the best option if you want to do this first. There are other things you can do to increase your chances of getting a job in engineering.
WormBanshee
Hello,

I'm a math and physics double major with a minor in computer science. I'm a junior now (starting in the fall). After graduating, I plan to go to graduate school for math (hopefully UCLA, and then I will take a few physics courses during the first two years of the program as well) when I am done with my undergrad. I would like to follow all the way through and get my Ph.D. Right now, I'm considering studying Analysis.

After that, the idea of working in academia is very appealing, but not right away. Before that, I want to have a job working for some place like Google, or Intel. Some sort of cool engineering job with a big tech company.

I was wondering if going all the way through with a Ph.D. program in pure math would be a bad thing if I want to do this first? Would it ever hurt my chances of getting this sort of job? Are there other things I could do to help my chances?

(I did post this in the career guidance page, but with no responses. I decided this page was more relevant, so posted it here now. I tried to delete that one, or move it here, but couldn't figure it out. Sorry for the spam.)

Physics news on Phys.org
...anyone? Sorry to bump it like this, but it has officially left the first page.

Hey WormBanshee and welcome to the forums.

I don't know about Pure Math PhDs, but statistics is a very good degree for something like google, especially when it comes to statistical approaches for pattern recognition, data mining, and statistical algorithmic approaches for general domains.

You might want to consider what this guy said:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks so much for the reply :)

I never really thought about statistics being used for that kind of stuff. I guess I'll be taking that class for a spin the next time I get the chance :) thanks!

Hello,

I can understand your interest in pursuing graduate school for math and your desire to work in industry after obtaining your Ph.D. It is important to note that there is no one right path for everyone, and ultimately, the decision should be based on your personal goals and interests.

That being said, having a Ph.D. in pure math can certainly be beneficial in the industry job market. Many industries, including tech companies like Google and Intel, value individuals with advanced degrees in math and related fields. In fact, a Ph.D. in pure math can demonstrate your strong analytical and problem-solving skills, which are highly sought after in the industry.

However, it is important to also gain practical experience while in graduate school. This can include internships, research projects, and collaborations with industry professionals. These experiences can help you develop skills and knowledge that are directly applicable to industry jobs and can also make you a more competitive candidate.

In addition, networking and building connections with professionals in your desired industry can also greatly benefit your job prospects. Attending conferences, workshops, and other events related to your field can provide opportunities to meet and network with industry professionals.

Ultimately, having a Ph.D. in pure math should not hinder your chances of obtaining an industry job. It is important to have a strong understanding of your field and to continuously develop practical skills and connections that can make you a competitive candidate in the job market. Best of luck in your future endeavors!

Related to Graduate school for math, Industry job outlook?

1. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree in math?

Graduate school in math offers a deeper understanding of mathematical concepts and methodologies, as well as the opportunity to conduct research in a specific area of interest. This can lead to career advancement, higher salaries, and more job opportunities in both academia and industry.

2. What types of industry jobs are available for math graduates?

Mathematicians are in high demand in a variety of industries, including finance, data science, technology, and engineering. Common job titles for math graduates include data analyst, statistician, actuary, and operations research analyst.

3. Is there a high demand for math professionals in the industry?

Yes, there is a growing demand for math professionals in the industry. With the increasing use of data and technology in various fields, companies are seeking individuals with strong math skills to analyze and interpret data, make data-driven decisions, and develop innovative solutions.

4. What skills and qualifications are necessary for a successful career in math?

In addition to a solid foundation in mathematical theory, successful math professionals possess strong analytical and problem-solving skills, attention to detail, and the ability to think critically. Strong communication and programming skills are also highly valued in the industry.

5. How can I best prepare for a career in math in the industry?

In addition to pursuing a graduate degree in math, gaining practical experience through internships or research projects can be beneficial. Networking and staying updated on industry developments and trends can also help individuals stand out in the job market. Additionally, developing strong programming skills in languages such as Python, R, and SQL can make math graduates more competitive for industry positions.