Graduate school considerations for EE

In summary, the individual is currently finishing an undergraduate degree in Computer Engineering Technology and is applying to graduate programs in Electrical Engineering. They are concerned about their job prospects with their current degree and are considering enrolling in a second degree program for EE. They are also unsure if it's worth pursuing a graduate degree and are worried about choosing the right specialization. They are seeking guidance on the best path to take in this situation.
Ben Zina
Hello all,

I'm currently a semester away from wrapping up an undergraduate degree and am in the process of applying to a few graduate schools mostly with the intention of obtaining a master's degree in Electrical Engineering (though I have applied to a graduate program in systems engineering just for the hell of it). However, there is one caveat...my bachelor's degree will not be in Electrical Engineering...it will be in Computer Engineering Technology.

I've lurked here before and it seems that many here are aware of the distinction between the two, the *Technology degree isn't a real engineering degree but is more of a hands on vocational kind of thing. I'm fortunate enough to live in state where I can still eventually take the FE right out of school and become a PE as well, I just need six years of industry experience as opposed to four for traditional engineering degrees. However, after casually looking for entry level jobs it seems that my prospects for obtaining a job with this degree are slim. All relevant listings in the engineering fields never include the *Technology degree and seem to be pretty strict about only hiring entry level workers with engineering degrees.

As a result, I'd really like to get into a graduate program as soon as I finish this one up so I have a better chance of actually starting a career. But I'm kind of having some doubts as to whether it's even worth it. I get the feeling that I won't really be able to keep up in graduate level engineering courses given how watered down the classes I was took were. Additionally, there seems to be a large specialization component to graduate degrees, and I'm worried about picking a specialization that's not in demand in my area and ending up even less marketable. That and it's very expensive over all.

There is at least one adjunct professor that teaches within my program who actually graduated from my school and managed to do pretty well in grad school and completed a master's degree, but mentioned that initially it was not a cakewalk at all.

An alternative I'm considering is to enroll in a second degree program at another university once I wrap this one up, this time enrolling in a program for EE proper. I've taken the same amount of math, programming and general credits most engineering students take, so this shouldn't be too much trouble. I'll have an engineering degree once I finish this and will be more marketable all around and will be able to do far better in graduate school should I choose to enroll down the line. However, this may end up consuming far too much time should the university I attend for a second degree ask that I complete an additional 60 credits...time that I could have spent completing a master's degree.

What's the better path in this case?

Physics news on Phys.org
Bump.

I'd really appreciate some guidance.

Related to Graduate school considerations for EE

1. What are the main factors to consider when choosing a graduate program in electrical engineering (EE)?

When considering graduate school for EE, it is important to research the reputation and ranking of the program, the availability of research opportunities, the faculty and their areas of expertise, and the curriculum and courses offered. Additionally, factors such as location, cost, and potential for financial aid or assistantships should also be taken into account.

2. What is the difference between a Master's and a PhD in EE?

A Master's degree in EE typically takes 1-2 years to complete and focuses on coursework and possibly a research project. A PhD in EE, on the other hand, typically takes 4-6 years and involves more in-depth research and a dissertation. A PhD is necessary for careers in academia or research, while a Master's degree may be sufficient for certain industry positions.

3. How important are GRE scores for admission to a graduate program in EE?

GRE scores are typically required for admission to graduate programs in EE, but they are not the only factor considered. Other factors such as undergraduate GPA, letters of recommendation, and research experience may also be considered. It is important to aim for a competitive GRE score, but it is not the sole determining factor for admission.

4. Is it necessary to have a background in EE for admission to a graduate program in the field?

While a background in EE is not always required, it is highly recommended for admission to a graduate program in the field. Many programs may have prerequisite coursework in math, physics, and basic engineering principles that are necessary for success in the program. Having a strong foundation in EE will also make it easier to understand and excel in advanced coursework and research.

5. What are the career prospects for graduates with a graduate degree in EE?

Graduates with a graduate degree in EE have a wide range of career opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, power systems, electronics, and computer hardware and software. They may also pursue careers in research and development, teaching, or consulting. The demand for skilled electrical engineers continues to grow, making it a promising career path for those with a graduate degree in the field.