Graduate school chances with bad GRE

In summary, the person is planning to apply to math graduate school and take the GRE subject test this weekend, but is not confident in their performance. They are unsure if they should submit a score since some of the schools they are applying to only "strongly recommend" it. They have a 3.7 GPA in math and physics, but no research experience. The chances of getting into a PhD program without a math GRE score are slim, but for a master's program it may be possible. Letters of recommendation are also a significant factor in graduate admissions.
neb5588
Im planning on applying to math graduate school and taking the GRE subject test for math this weekend. However I don't think I am going to do well, but the small glimmer of hope that I have is that the schools I am applying to, either don't require it at all or "strongly recommend" it, so I am wondering what you think my chances are if I don't submit a score?

Im a math/physics major with a 3.7 gpa and sadly no research. I am obviously not applying anywhere in the top 20s, but I am looking at schools in the 40's to 50's... do i have any chance??

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are trying to get into a PhD program, even if they say you don't need a math subject gre score, they actually mean that you do. If you are just going for a masters, then you could probably get away without sending in your score. Remember, math PhD admissions are pretty tough anywhere. Your gpa will be about average for the applicant pool for the schools you are applying to, and no research doesn't help, but you should keep in mind that letters of recommendation go a long, long way in graduate admissions.

I understand your concerns about your GRE scores and their potential impact on your graduate school applications. However, it is important to remember that the GRE is just one aspect of your application and does not define your entire academic and research potential.

While some schools may require or strongly recommend the GRE, there are many other factors that they will consider, such as your GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statement. Additionally, not all graduate programs place equal weight on GRE scores, and some may even have a holistic approach to evaluating applicants.

Based on your 3.7 GPA and math/physics background, it seems like you have a strong academic foundation for graduate school. It is also worth noting that many successful graduate students have been admitted without prior research experience.

My advice would be to focus on highlighting your strengths in your application and addressing any potential weaknesses, such as your lack of research experience, in your personal statement. If the schools you are applying to do not require the GRE, it may be worth considering not submitting your scores at all.

Ultimately, your chances of being admitted to graduate school are not solely determined by your GRE scores. While they can be an important factor, they are not the only measure of your potential as a graduate student. I would encourage you to have confidence in your academic achievements and focus on putting together a strong application that showcases your passion and potential for success in graduate school.

Related to Graduate school chances with bad GRE

1. Can I still get into graduate school with a low GRE score?

It is possible to get into graduate school with a low GRE score, but it may be more difficult. Admissions committees consider a variety of factors, including GPA, letters of recommendation, and personal statements, in addition to standardized test scores.

2. How much will a low GRE score hurt my chances of getting into graduate school?

A low GRE score may hurt your chances of getting into highly competitive graduate programs, but it may not be a deciding factor for less competitive programs. It is important to research the specific requirements and average scores for the programs you are interested in.

3. Can I retake the GRE to improve my chances?

Yes, you can retake the GRE to improve your score. However, be sure to check with the programs you are applying to as some may only consider your highest score, while others may consider all scores.

4. Are there any graduate programs that do not require the GRE?

Yes, there are some graduate programs that do not require the GRE. These programs may place more emphasis on other factors such as work experience, research experience, or a strong academic record.

5. Should I still apply to graduate school if my GRE score is below the average for the program?

It is ultimately up to you whether or not to apply to a program with a below-average GRE score. However, it may be worth considering if you have other strong components of your application, or if the program is not highly competitive.