Graduate Level Course Selection

In summary, choosing graduate level courses involves careful consideration of academic goals, interests, and program requirements. Students should consult with advisors, review course descriptions and syllabi, and prioritize courses that align with their career aspirations and academic strengths. It is important to strike a balance between challenging and manageable course loads, and to also consider factors such as scheduling, prerequisites, and availability. By being strategic and intentional in their course selection, graduate students can maximize their learning experience and prepare themselves for success in their chosen field.
azupol
Hi all,

I'm starting my grad work in September and I'm trying to decide which courses to take. I'll be doing an M. Sc. in Chemical Physics, and potentially a Ph. D. My undergrad was in Chemistry, with minors in Physics and Math. My tentative choice of thesis topic is coherent control (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coherent_control).

Given that information about me, I would appreciate any advice for course choices that may be useful to me, from this list:

http://www.chem.utoronto.ca/_shared/files/grad/Physical Chemistry Catalogue.pdf

Physics news on Phys.org
Shouldn't this be something you discuss with your academic advisor, who should know a lot more of the program, the requirements, and more importantly, about you?

Zz.

Likes Crass_Oscillator
ZapperZ said:
Shouldn't this be something you discuss with your academic advisor, who should know a lot more of the program, the requirements, and more importantly, about you?

Zz.

So, that's what I thought, and I'm in the same position as OP. As it turns out, at least at my school, you figure out what to take by looking at courses and seeing what you might need. Maybe OP's school is the same, hence asking for advice.

You don't have an academic advisor? I was assigned one coming in (this person is usually not someone's thesis advisor).

No academic advisor that is separate from our thesis advisor. I also don't have my thesis advisor yet, we pick in September.

Scroll down to Sample Courses: http://phys.colorado.edu/graduate-students/masters-degree

"
Five Core Courses to be selected from the following:

Introduction to Research in Modern Physics (PHYS 5430)

Quantum Mechanics 1 & 2 (PHYS 5250, 5260)

Electromagnetic Theory 1 & 2 (PHYS 7310, 7320)

Theoretical Mechanics (PHYS 5210)

Statistical Mechanics (PHYS 7230)"
Other schools have guidelines too. Since your school doesn't offer any, check out the above and maybe some other and put together a course list you think is satisfactory.

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Graduate Level Course Selection

1. How do I choose the right graduate level course for my field of study?

The best way to choose the right graduate level course is to first determine your specific field of study and research interests. Then, research the course offerings in your department and consult with your academic advisor for recommendations. Additionally, reading course descriptions, reviewing syllabi, and speaking with current students can also help you make an informed decision.

2. How many graduate level courses should I take per semester?

The number of graduate level courses you should take per semester depends on your program's requirements, your course load capacity, and your personal goals. It is recommended to consult with your academic advisor to determine the appropriate number of courses to take based on your individual circumstances.

3. Can I take graduate level courses outside of my department?

Yes, it is common for graduate students to take courses outside of their department to broaden their knowledge and skills. However, it is important to consult with your academic advisor and obtain approval from your department before enrolling in courses outside of your field of study.

4. How do I know if a graduate level course is suitable for my academic level?

Graduate level courses are designed for students who have already completed their undergraduate degree and have advanced knowledge in their field of study. Therefore, it is important to carefully review the course prerequisites and consult with your academic advisor before enrolling to ensure you have the necessary background and skills to succeed in the course.

5. Can I change my graduate level course selection after the semester has started?

It is possible to make changes to your course selection after the semester has started, but it is not recommended. Graduate level courses are often condensed and require a significant amount of time and effort. It is best to make any necessary changes before the semester begins to avoid falling behind and negatively impacting your academic progress.