Gradient of Wavelength vs Period Graph?

In summary, by plotting a graph of period against wavelength, and finding the gradient of the linear line, we can determine the speed of sound in air. This is because the linear equation (y=mx+c) is related to the universal wave equation (v=f*λ) where f is inversely proportional to the period (T). Therefore, the slope of the graph represents the velocity of sound, and this approach is a result of the relationship between these equations.
donkeycopter
We've got a table of periods (in seconds) and their corresponding wavelengths for creating resonance in a closed pipe.

I've been told that plotting a graph of period (on x axis) vs wavelength, and finding the gradient of that linear line will tell me the speed of sound in air. I can do that easily and found the speed in air to be 375m/s - which is reasonable.

I want to know why this works though. Why do I plot a graph of wavelength against period? Why is the gradient the speed of sound in air?

I'm assuming it is something to do with the linear equation (y=mx + c) relating the the universal wave equation (v = f x lambda). And f being inversely proportional to the period (T). But i have no idea how they relate!

An in-depth explanation would be amazing! I can do the question easily, I always just want to know why what we've been told to do works :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your assumption is correct. You know that

v = f*λ. So

λ = v/f. Bur 1/f = T. So

λ = v*T => y = mx.

The slope of the graph is the velocity.

Related to Gradient of Wavelength vs Period Graph?

1. What does the gradient of a wavelength vs period graph represent?

The gradient of a wavelength vs period graph represents the speed of the wave. It is calculated by dividing the change in wavelength by the change in period.

2. How is the gradient of a wavelength vs period graph related to the frequency of the wave?

The gradient of a wavelength vs period graph is directly proportional to the frequency of the wave. This means that as the gradient increases, the frequency also increases, and vice versa.

3. How can the gradient of a wavelength vs period graph be used to determine the type of wave?

The gradient of a wavelength vs period graph can be used to determine the type of wave by comparing it to the known gradients of different types of waves. For example, the gradient of a sound wave will be different from the gradient of a light wave.

4. What does a positive gradient in a wavelength vs period graph indicate?

A positive gradient in a wavelength vs period graph indicates that as the period increases, the wavelength also increases. This is typically seen in transverse waves.

5. How can the gradient of a wavelength vs period graph be calculated if the data points are not in a straight line?

If the data points on a wavelength vs period graph are not in a straight line, the gradient can still be calculated by drawing a line of best fit and finding the slope of that line. This will give an approximate value for the gradient.