Gradient of multiparticle wavefunction

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the gradient and curl of a multiparticle wavefunction, specifically one that describes the probability amplitude for two particles with polar coordinates. It is possible to find the gradient of the wavefunction with respect to the coordinates of each particle, but the curl cannot be calculated since the wavefunction is not a vector valued function.
confused_man
Hi everyone,

This might belong in the quantum mechanics section, so I apologize if I placed this thread in the wrong place.

My question is: how do I calculate the gradient of a multiparticle wavefunction? For example, suppose that a wavefunction [tex]\psi[/tex] describing the probability amplitude for two particles with coordinates [tex](r_1,\phi_1)[/tex] and [tex](r_2,\phi_2)[/tex]:

[tex]
\psi = r_1r_2e^{i(\phi_1+\phi_2)}
[/tex]

and I want to find the gradient of [tex]\psi[/tex]. Is this even possible? What about the curl?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Your notation implies that each particle position is specified by two coordinates which look like polar coordinates. Then, the wave function is a function of the 4 particle coordinates and the time. You can find two gradients, with respect to coordinates of particle 1 or with respect to coordinates of the second particle. Just find somewhere the expression of the components of the gradient vector in terms of the partial derivatives of the function and compute those.

You can't find the curl of the wave function since it is not a vector valued function, the curl operates only on vectors.

Last edited:

Related to Gradient of multiparticle wavefunction

1. What is the gradient of a multiparticle wavefunction?

The gradient of a multiparticle wavefunction is a mathematical operation that calculates the rate of change of the wavefunction with respect to each of its spatial coordinates. It is represented by the symbol ∇ and is often used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles in a multi-dimensional space.

2. How is the gradient of a multiparticle wavefunction calculated?

The gradient of a multiparticle wavefunction is calculated using partial derivatives. Each partial derivative represents the rate of change of the wavefunction with respect to one of its spatial coordinates. The gradient is then represented as a vector, with each component corresponding to a different spatial coordinate.

3. What is the significance of the gradient in quantum mechanics?

The gradient is an important tool in quantum mechanics as it helps us understand how particles move and interact in a multi-dimensional space. It is also used to calculate important physical quantities such as momentum and energy, which are crucial in understanding the behavior of particles.

4. Can the gradient of a multiparticle wavefunction be negative?

Yes, the gradient of a multiparticle wavefunction can be negative. This simply means that the wavefunction is decreasing in value in a particular direction. In quantum mechanics, this can represent a decrease in the probability of finding a particle in that direction.

5. How does the gradient of a multiparticle wavefunction relate to the Schrödinger equation?

The gradient plays an important role in the Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. The gradient of the wavefunction is used to calculate the kinetic energy term in the equation, which describes how particles move in space. It also helps us understand the potential energy of particles in a given system.