Gradient and equation for curve in space

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the directional derivative in the direction of a given vector at a specific point on a level surface. The equation for the directional derivative is ∇f|p ° u/||u||, where u/||u|| is the unit vector in the direction of u. It is mentioned that the direction derivative can be thought of as the slope of the tangent line to a curve defined by the intersection of a vertical plane containing the given point and facing in the direction of u. It is then questioned if there is a relationship between the equation for the directional derivative and the equation for this curve. It is also discussed how, if the gradient or direction vector cannot be computed, the equation for the curve could
dumbQuestion
Let's say we have a function f(x,y,z)=k which is a level surface for a function of 3 variables. Now say at some point P we want to find the derivative in the direction of some vector, u. (the change in z in the direction of u at point P). We can easily find this direction derivative using

∇f|p ° u/||u|| (where u/||u|| is the unit vector in the direction of u)My thinking is this: so if we took a "slice" of this surface, namely, the intersection of a straight vertical plane containing P and facing in direction of u, this "slice" would be a curve and the direction derivative would be no more than the slope of the tangent line to this curve. So I was just curious, from our equation of directional derivative, can we somehow get the equation for this curve? I just didn't know if there was any relation between the two. Also, say for some reason we could not compute the gradient or were unable to know exactly u (the direction we want our derivative to be), but say we could somehow find the equation for this curve. Could we then just take the derivative of this curve to arrive at the directional derivative?

Physics news on Phys.org
An example of what I'm talking about

let's say we have

f(x,y)=2x+2y2 and we want the directional derivative at point (1,2) in the direction u=<4,-3>

OK, so ∇f=<2,4y> and u/||u|| = <4/5,-3/5>

So the general vector for the directional derivative in the direction of u would be

∇f ° u/||u|| = 8/5-12/5y

So its my understanding this would also be the general equation for the derivative of the curve defined as the intersection of a vertical plane in direction u. So for example if I plugged in the point (1,2), it would give the slope of the tangent line to the curve defined as the intersection of a vertical plane containing point (1,2) in the direction of u. So if I integrate something, will I somehow generate a general equation for the curve? What would I be integrating?

Related to Gradient and equation for curve in space

What is a gradient?

A gradient is a mathematical concept that describes the rate of change of a function with respect to its variables. In simpler terms, it represents the slope or steepness of a curve at any given point.

How is a gradient calculated?

The gradient of a curve in space can be calculated using partial derivatives, which involve taking the derivative of a function with respect to each variable separately. The resulting values are then combined to form a vector that represents the direction and magnitude of the gradient.

What is the equation for a curve in space?

The equation for a curve in space is a mathematical representation of the relationship between the variables that define the curve. It can be written in various forms, such as parametric equations, polar equations, or Cartesian equations, depending on the context and the specific curve being described.

How is the gradient related to the equation for a curve in space?

The gradient of a curve is closely related to its equation, as it represents the instantaneous rate of change of the curve at any given point. In fact, the gradient can be thought of as the derivative of the curve's equation with respect to its variables.

Why is the gradient important?

The gradient is an essential concept in mathematics and is used in many fields, including physics, engineering, and data analysis. It allows us to understand and quantify the behavior of curves and surfaces, and it has many applications, such as optimization, vector calculus, and machine learning algorithms.