Grade 12 Physics: Tension Formulas & Static Equilibrium

In summary, static equilibriums are easy, but tension questions can be difficult. Your book might have the answer to check your math.
Noin
I am in grade 12 doing level 3 Physics.

For some reason i keep getting stuck on tension questions and static equilibriums

Would anyone know the formulas for these (as my book really does not seem to be helping me) and where i can find some practice questions on the subject?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am doing that stuff right now too.

Static Equilibriums is real easy for me, the equations are that Net force in y direction = 0 net force in x direction = 0 and net torque = 0 using those forumlas along with provided information for the problem should be enough to solve it. Unless there is something more comples your working with becasue I don't know what is meant by level 3 physics?

Im not exactly sure what you mean by tension questions? like just rope tension? do you have a sample problem?

Well, the reason i would be having trouble with statics is that i pretty much missed that entire section due to sickness..

But as for tension, i do have an example:

two boxes, each of mass 40 kg, are tied together. Box 2 is on a surface angled 60 degrees below the horizontal level of the flat surface that box 1 is on. If both surfaces provide a frictional coefficient of 0.15;

a) What is the tension in the string
b) Starting from rest, how long does it take the system of boxes to slide 1.50m

Ok so the box on the flat surface has a force of 58.8 N holding it in place (40)9.8(.15)

The box on the sloped surface has a force of 145.077 N pulling it down the slope(40)9.8(cos(60))-(40)9.8(sin(60))(.15)

So I think that you add the two or subtract, I think its add because they are in opposite directions so it would be 203.877 N? sig digs. I tihnk that's right idk check my math. Does your book have the answer in the back to check it?

Related to Grade 12 Physics: Tension Formulas & Static Equilibrium

1. What is tension in physics?

Tension in physics refers to the force that is transmitted through a string, rope, cable, or any other type of flexible connector. It is a pulling force that is exerted by the string on the objects attached to its ends.

2. How is tension calculated in physics?

Tension can be calculated by using the formula T = mg + ma, where T is the tension force, m is the mass of the object, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and a is the acceleration of the object. This formula applies to objects in static equilibrium, meaning they are not moving.

3. What is static equilibrium in physics?

Static equilibrium refers to a state where all forces acting on an object are balanced, resulting in no net force and no acceleration. This means the object is not moving, or is moving at a constant velocity. In terms of tension, this means the forces pulling on the object from different directions are equal, resulting in a net force of zero.

4. How does tension affect objects in static equilibrium?

In objects in static equilibrium, tension helps to maintain the balance of forces. If the tension force is greater in one direction, it will pull the object towards that direction, but the other forces will also pull the object back, resulting in a state of equilibrium.

5. What are some real-world examples of tension and static equilibrium?

Some examples of tension and static equilibrium include a hanging object attached to a string, a bridge with cables supporting its weight, and a person standing on a tightrope. In all of these cases, the tension forces are balanced, resulting in a state of static equilibrium.