Grade 12 Physics: Practice Equation Proofs for Work, KE, Springs, & Potential Energy

In summary, the conversation is about a student in grade 12 physics seeking help with equation proofs related to work, kinetic energy, springs, and potential energy. The student is specifically interested in proving the general equation for gravitational potential energy. Another person offers to derive the conservation of mechanical energy for them in the case of a point particle under the influence of gravity. The derivation involves using Newton's second law and integrating equations over time, resulting in the conclusion that mechanical energy remains constant for the particle's motion.
decamij
I am in grade 12 physics, and i have to practice equation proofs. I am currently studying work, kinetic energy, springs, and potential energy (gravity and elastic).

Does anyone have a good proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
Proof of what?
Your question is much too vague..

Sorry, i mean proving an energy-related equation.

Which of them?
Specifics, please.

i know its a simple equation, but i suck at proofs.

how about the general equation for gravitational potential energy?

Ok, I'll derive the conservation of mechanical energy for you, in the case of a point particle under the influence of the force of gravity.
I write Newton's 2.law in vector form:
[tex]-mg\vec{j}=m\vec{a}[/tex]
where [tex]\vec{a}=\frac{d^{2}\vec{x}}{dt^{2}}[/tex] is the acceleration, and
[tex]\vec{x}(t)=x(t)\vec{i}+y(t)\vec{j}[/tex]
and the velocity is given by:
[tex]\vec{v}=\frac{d\vec{x}}{dt}[/tex]
We also have:
[tex]\vec{a}=\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}[/tex]
1. Form the dot product
between [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] and Newton's 2.law:
[tex]-mg\frac{dy}{dt}=m\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}\cdot\vec{v}[/tex]
2. Integrate this equation between 2 arbtriray points of time:
[tex]\int_{t_{0}}^{t_{1}}-mg\frac{dy}{dt}dt=\int_{t_{0}}^{t_{1}}m\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}\cdot\vec{v}dt[/tex]
3. The left-hand side is easy to compute:
[tex]\int_{t_{0}}^{t_{1}}-mg\frac{dy}{dt}dt=-mgy(t_{1})+mgy(t_{0})[/tex]
4. We note the identity:
[tex]\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}\cdot\vec{v}=\frac{d}{dt}(\frac{\vec{v}^{2}}{2})[/tex]
where [tex]\vec{v}^{2}\equiv\vec{v}\cdot\vec{v}[/tex]
5. Hence, the right-hand side in 2.) may be computed:
[tex]\int_{t_{0}}^{t_{1}}m\frac{d\vec{v}}{dt}\cdot\vec{v}dt=\frac{m}{2}\vec{v}^{2}(t_{1})-\frac{m}{2}\vec{v}^{2}(t_{0})[/tex]
6. Collecting insights from 3. and 5., 2. may be rewritten as:
[tex]-mgy(t_{1})+mgy(t_{0})=\frac{m}{2}\vec{v}^{2}(t_{1})-\frac{m}{2}\vec{v}^{2}(t_{0})[/tex]
7. Or, rearranging 6., we gain:
[tex]mgy(t_{1})+\frac{m}{2}\vec{v}^{2}(t_{1})=mgy(t_{0})+\frac{m}{2}\vec{v}^{2}(t_{0})[/tex]
8. Or, noting that [tex]t_{1},t_{0}[/tex] were ARBITRARY, every mechanical energy amount must remain the same at all times, so we get, by eliminating the specific time parameter:
[tex]mgy+\frac{m}{2}\vec{v}^{2}=K[/tex]
where K is some constant for the whole motion.
That is, the mechanical energy is conserved for the particle

Related to Grade 12 Physics: Practice Equation Proofs for Work, KE, Springs, & Potential Energy

1. What is the equation for calculating work in physics?

The equation for calculating work is W = Fd cosθ, where W represents work, F represents force, d represents distance, and θ represents the angle between the force and the displacement.

2. How do you calculate the kinetic energy of an object?

The equation for calculating kinetic energy is K = 1/2mv^2, where K represents kinetic energy, m represents mass, and v represents velocity.

3. What is Hooke's Law and how is it used to calculate the force of a spring?

Hooke's Law states that the force exerted by a spring is directly proportional to the displacement of the spring from its equilibrium position. The equation for this is F = -kx, where F represents force, k represents the spring constant, and x represents the displacement from equilibrium. This equation can be rearranged to k = F/x, allowing the force of the spring to be calculated if the displacement is known.

4. How is potential energy calculated in physics?

The equation for calculating potential energy is PE = mgh, where PE represents potential energy, m represents mass, g represents the acceleration due to gravity, and h represents the height of the object above the reference point (usually the ground).

5. Can the conservation of energy principle be applied to these equations?

Yes, the conservation of energy principle states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred between different forms. In these equations, work done on an object is converted into either kinetic energy or potential energy, while the force of a spring is a result of the potential energy stored in the spring. Therefore, the total energy in a system (work + kinetic energy + potential energy) will remain constant.