Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Grad POTW slant

dwsmith

Feb 1, 2012
When can the grad POTW lose the slant towards pure math? Can we have a mixture of pure and applied? I decided to look at the POTW for this and last week after I stopped looking for what seems like many months now and it still seems to be only pure math. If there is an occassional applied math problem; that is < 10%, I still wouldn't be inclined to look since 9 out of 10 times or less it won't be of interest to me. There are probably others who would appreciate something not in the pure realm as well.

Last edited:

Chris L T521

Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
When can the grad POTW lose the slant towards pure math? Can we have a mixture of pure and applied? I decided to look at the POTW for this and last week after I stopped looking for what seems like many months now and it still seems to be only pure math. If there is an occassional applied math problem; that is < 10%, I still wouldn't be inclined to look since 9 out of 10 times or less it won't be of interest to me. There are probably others who would appreciate something not in the pure realm as well.
Well, I'm certainly open to any suggestions for applied problems. I should mention that the reason why I post more pure problems than applied problem is because I did my graduate work in pure math, and it's something that I'm comfortable with posting questions about each week (since I'm confident enough in myself to produce a solution even if no one answers that week's question). I don't feel that way about applied math, but I'm willing to start making a change if that means more people will be inclined to participate each week since it's somewhat disheartening posting problems week after week while seeing that no one is interested in them or willing to attempt them.

However, I am in the process of relearning applied math because I plan on applying to graduate programs in applied math in the future...but since it's not my forte, I'm not confident enough with coming up with reasonable problems that would be considered to be at the graduate level. I have a book on probability models, but that's the extent to my more advanced applied math collection of texts. (Worried)

So with that said, if you or anyone else has suggestions on what applied problems to you'd like to see asked for graduate POTWs, I'm all ears. (Smile)

mathbalarka

MHB Math Helper
Mar 22, 2013
Chris L T521 said:
it's somewhat disheartening posting problems week after week while seeing that no one is interested in them or willing to attempt them.
I'll do the best I can after November if some Number Theoretic POTWs appears in the Graduate POTW forum. I'll also try to suggest some number theoretic problems for POTW too.

Meanwhile, I will try my best to solve any problem that is related to abstract algebra, complex analysis, real analysis, complex dynamics and algebraic geometry.

I am not sure whether applies math would be the best as a POTW, one can experiment whether peoples are more participating though, however. If they do, I don't have any complains about that.

Balarka

Last edited: