Grad funding -math or physics masters degree or phd

In summary, graduate funding for masters or PhD programs varies depending on the country and field of study. In general, terminal masters programs do not come with funding, while PhD programs do. The amount of funding also varies, with PhD students typically making between 16k and 25k per year. Funding can come from being a teaching assistant or a research assistant, but it is ultimately up to the professor to decide. Systems for graduate funding differ between countries, such as in Britain, Canada, and the US.
~Death~
how much money did you receive for graduate funding

are you in math or physics/masters or phd

are you in Canada or the United States or somewhere else

and what do you think is average, below average, above average for a domestic masters student per year?

how do they make the decision - is it based on how well they think youll do

Physics news on Phys.org
Most terminal masters programs don't come with funding, but PhD programs will (and if you enter a PhD program with a bachelors, you'd be paid to work on the masters as well). My friends and I made between 16k and 25k a year in physics and math PhD programs. Teaching assistants tend to make less, research assistants make more, but you have to convince a professor to take you on for that.

~Death~, grad school in what country? Systems in Britain, Canada, and the US (and in other countries) are quite different.
eri said:
Most terminal masters programs don't come with funding

Here in Canada, terminal program masters programs are often fiunded, and it is very common to get a masters before getting a Ph.D.

Related to Grad funding -math or physics masters degree or phd

1. What types of funding are available for math or physics graduate programs?

There are a variety of funding options for graduate programs in math or physics, including teaching or research assistantships, fellowships, scholarships, and grants. These can be offered through the university, government agencies, private organizations, or individual faculty members.

2. How do I apply for funding for a math or physics graduate program?

The application process for funding will vary depending on the specific program and institution. Generally, you will need to fill out a separate application for funding in addition to your application for the graduate program. This may require submitting essays, recommendation letters, and/or financial information. Be sure to carefully review the application requirements and deadlines for each funding opportunity.

3. Is funding guaranteed for all students in math or physics graduate programs?

No, funding is not guaranteed for all students in math or physics graduate programs. Some programs may have limited funding available, and the competition for these funds can be high. Additionally, funding may be contingent upon maintaining a certain GPA or making satisfactory progress in the program. It is important to research the funding opportunities available for your specific program and plan accordingly.

4. Can I receive funding for a master's degree in math or physics?

Yes, funding is available for both master's and PhD programs in math or physics. However, funding opportunities may differ between the two levels and may be more limited for master's programs. It is important to research the funding options available for the specific program and institution you are interested in.

5. Can I receive funding for a math or physics graduate program if I am an international student?

Yes, international students are eligible for funding for math or physics graduate programs. However, the availability and requirements for funding may vary for international students compared to domestic students. It is important to research the specific funding opportunities and requirements for international students at your chosen program and institution.