Grad 1D scattering from step function

In summary, "Grad 1D scattering from step function" is a mathematical model used to describe the scattering of a one-dimensional wave by a sudden change or step in the medium. The step function is defined as a sudden change in the refractive index or density of the medium and is influenced by factors such as angle of incidence, wave amplitude and frequency, and step dimensions. The scattering pattern of the wave is affected by the presence of the step function, resulting in interference effects. This model has practical applications in various fields such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics.
frogjg2003

Homework Statement

Consider the 1D potential V(x) such that V(x)=0 for x<0 and V(x) = V for x>0 and assume that a wave packet with energy E0=p20/2m<V is incident on the barrier from the left. Calculate in terms of E0 and V the difference in time between the arrival of the incident packet at the step and the departure of the reflected packet from the step. Relate this time delay to a “distance of travel” within the step.

Homework Equations

time independent Schrödinger equation

The Attempt at a Solution

I've calculated the time independent wavefunction to be
[tex]
\Psi(x) = \begin{cases}
A_Ie^{ik_0x} + B_Ie^{-ik_0x} & x<0\\
A_{II}e^{kx} & x>0 \end{cases}
\\
k = \sqrt{\frac{2mE_0}{\hbar^2}}
\\
k = \sqrt{\frac{2m(V-E_0)}{\hbar^2}}
[/tex]
with the relations
[tex]
\frac{B_I}{A_I} = \frac{ik_0+k}{ik0-k}
\\
\frac{A_{II}}{A_I} = \frac{2ik_0}{ik_0-k}.
[/tex]
From that, I was thinking about writing the wavefunction as
[tex]
\Psi(x) = \begin{cases}
e^{ik_0x} + e^{-i(k_0x-\phi)} & x<0\\
ce^{kx+i\theta} & x>0 \end{cases}
[/tex]
where I've removed the normalization constant and use the two phases [itex]\phi,\theta[/itex] given by
[tex]
\tan(\phi) = \frac{2kk_0}{k^2-k_0^2}
\\
c = \frac{2k_0}{k'}
\\
\tan(\theta) = \frac{k}{k_0}
\\
k'^2=k_0^2+k^2=\frac{2mV}{\hbar^2}
[/tex]

I'm stuck with what the question means by calculate the time difference.
One of my classmates said to apply the time evolution operator [itex]e^{-i\hat{H}t/\hbar}[/itex], which because we're acting on one eigenfunction, becomes [itex]e^{-iE_0t/\hbar}[/itex] and the wavefunction is
[tex]
\Psi(x,t) = \begin{cases}
e^{i(k_0x-E_0t/\hbar)} + e^{-i(k_0x-\phi+E_0t/\hbar)} & x<0\\
ce^{kx+i(\theta-E_0t/\hbar)} & x>0 \end{cases}
[/tex]

Where would I go from here?

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. The time difference that is being referred to in this problem is the difference between the arrival time of the incident wave packet at the step and the departure time of the reflected wave packet from the step. This can also be thought of as the time it takes for the wave packet to travel through the step region.

To calculate this time difference, you can use the time evolution operator as you mentioned. The time evolution operator acts on the wavefunction and gives the time-dependent wavefunction, as you have correctly written in your post. To calculate the time difference, you can take the difference in the phase of the wavefunction at two different points in space, say x=0 and x=L, where L is the length of the step region.

The phase of the wavefunction at x=0 is given by k_0x-E_0t/\hbar and the phase at x=L is given by kx+i(\theta-E_0t/\hbar). Taking the difference between these two phases, we get kL+i(\theta-\phi). This can be related to the distance traveled by the wave packet within the step region by using the relation k=\sqrt{2m(V-E_0)/\hbar^2}. This gives us the final expression for the time difference as \frac{\sqrt{2m(V-E_0)}}{\hbar}(L-\tan^{-1}(\frac{2kk_0}{k^2-k_0^2})).

I hope this helps you in your calculations. Please let me know if you have any further questions or if you need any clarifications.

Related to Grad 1D scattering from step function

1. What is "Grad 1D scattering from step function"?

"Grad 1D scattering from step function" refers to a mathematical model used to describe the scattering of a one-dimensional wave by a sudden change or step in the medium through which it is traveling. This model is commonly used in the study of wave propagation and can be applied to various fields such as acoustics, optics, and electromagnetics.

2. How is the step function defined in this model?

In this model, the step function represents a sudden change in the refractive index or density of the medium through which the wave is traveling. It is typically defined as a function with a constant value on one side of the step and a different constant value on the other side.

3. What factors influence the scattering of a 1D wave in this model?

The scattering of a 1D wave in this model is influenced by several factors, including the angle of incidence, the amplitude and frequency of the wave, the step height and width, and the refractive index or density of the medium before and after the step.

4. How is the scattering pattern of the wave affected by the step function?

The presence of the step function in the medium causes the incident wave to be partially reflected and partially transmitted. The scattering pattern of the wave is affected by the amplitude and phase of these reflected and transmitted waves, which can create interference effects and result in a complex scattering pattern.

5. What are some practical applications of this model?

This model has several practical applications, including the study of sound waves in ocean and atmospheric environments, the design of optical devices such as diffraction gratings, and the analysis of electromagnetic waves in waveguides and transmission lines.