Gr12 Energy Prob: Solving for Waterfall Speed at Top

• Thread starter Uncle6
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses determining the speed of water at the top of Della Falls in Canada, given its change in elevation, speed at a certain point, and neglecting air resistance and fluid friction. Using the conservation of energy equation, the speed at the top is calculated to be approximately 5.0 m/s, although calculations by the individual may have resulted in 7.4 m/s.
Uncle6

Homework Statement

"The highest waterfall in Canada is Della Falls in B.C., with a change in elevation of 4.4*10^2m. When the water has fallen 12% of its way to the bottom, its speed is 33 m/s. Neglecting air resistance and fluid friction, determine the speed of the water at the top of the waterfall."

RTF: V1
V2 = 33 m/s

(need help on this part, tell me if I'm doing it right) I pick the ground as a point of reference, so:
y1 = 4.4*10^2 m
y2 = (4.4*10^2)(1-0.12)

Homework Equations

Et1=Et2 (Conservation of Energy)

The Attempt at a Solution

Et1=Et2
1/2mv1^2 + mgy1 = 1/2mv2^2 +mgy2
(mass cancels out)
v1 = sqrt( 2 ( 0.5v2^2 + g(y2-y1)))

I plug everything in and I get 7.4 m/s, book says 5.0 m/s

Physics news on Phys.org
I get your answer also.

guess I'm right then? Thanks

Related to Gr12 Energy Prob: Solving for Waterfall Speed at Top

1. How is the speed of a waterfall at the top determined?

The speed of a waterfall at the top can be determined by using the equation: v = √2gh, where v is the velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the waterfall.

2. What factors can affect the speed of a waterfall at the top?

The speed of a waterfall at the top can be affected by several factors, including the height of the waterfall, the volume of water flowing, the shape of the waterfall, and any obstacles in the path of the water.

3. How do you measure the height of a waterfall?

The height of a waterfall can be measured using a variety of methods, including using a measuring tape or ruler, using a laser rangefinder, or using trigonometry to calculate the height based on the distance from the waterfall and the angle of elevation.

4. Can the speed of a waterfall at the top change over time?

Yes, the speed of a waterfall at the top can change over time. Factors such as changes in water flow, weather conditions, and erosion can all contribute to changes in the speed of a waterfall at the top.

5. How is the speed of a waterfall at the top relevant to energy production?

The speed of a waterfall at the top is relevant to energy production because it can be used to calculate the potential energy of the water, which can then be harnessed to generate electricity. This is the principle behind hydropower plants.