GR - Trying to grasp index notation (Levi Civita)

In summary, the conversation discusses using index notation to express multiple vector products or divergences or gradients. The conversation also includes a problem from the book "An Introduction to General Relativity" by Hughston and Tod, which involves using index notation to solve an expression involving the wedge product and the Levi-Civita symbol. The conversation also touches on the difference between free indices and repeated indices, and the confusion that can arise when dealing with indices. Overall, the conversation highlights the importance of understanding the structure of index notation and its connection to traditional vector algebra.
Clever-Name

Homework Statement

I'm trying to grasp how the indices are listed when writing out multiple vector products or divergences or gradients, etc. I'm working with 'An Introduction to General Relativity' by Hughston and Tod.

Homework Equations

[tex]
A\wedge B = \varepsilon_{ijk}A_{j}B_{k}
[/tex]

[tex]
[A,B,C] = \varepsilon_{ijk}A_{i}B_{j}C_{k}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

To use a problem as an indicator of my struggles, Problem 2.1 in the text I mentioned above states:

Using index notation, show that

[tex]
(A\wedge B)\wedge (P\wedge Q) = -A[B,P,Q] + B[A,P,Q] \\
(A\wedge B)\wedge (P\wedge Q) = (\varepsilon_{ijk}A_{j}B_{k})\wedge (\varepsilon_{kpq}P_{p}Q_{q}) = ?
[/tex]

This is where I'm confused, where am I allowed to repeat the indices? How would you go about first writing out the expression?

The text writes:
[tex]
A\wedge (B\wedge C) = \varepsilon_{ijk}A_{j}(\varepsilon_{kpq}B_{p}C_{q})
[/tex]

So I see that the k index is repeated, but why were p and q used? I regurgitated that above in the problem but how do I then take care of the middle [itex] \wedge [/itex], do I use 2 unique indices but repeat j??

Help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Theres a sum over repeated indices right? You're allowed to change indices which are summed over since they're dummy indices, but not ones that aren't...right? So,

(A ∧ B)∧(P∧Q)=εijkmjkAjBk)jnjkPjQk)k

could be a good starting point...Maybe...it has been a long time since I've worked through a problem like this. Sometimes it helps to write out a few terms in the expression to get an idea of how to proceed.

What's important is that you begin to understand the difference between free indices and repeated indices. For instance,

[tex]A \wedge B = \epsilon_{ijk} A_j B_k[/tex]

Really means that

[tex]A \wedge B = C \quad C_i = \epsilon_{ijk} A_j B_k[/tex]

An index should never be repeated more than twice. It doesn't matter what letters are used to represent the indices. I could use [itex]\epsilon_{lmn} A_m B_n[/itex] instead. What's important is that the structure is the same: the middle index of the Levi-Civita matches with the index of A, and so on.

I take from the form of Levi-Civita that this must be 3D; that's good because otherwise, these guys' definitions of wedge products make no sense.

Yes, Muphrid, it's 3D

Ok, I think I've got it...

[tex]
\begin{align*}
[(A\wedge B)\wedge(P\wedge Q)]_{i} &= \varepsilon_{ijk}(A\wedge B)_{j}(P\wedge Q)_{k} \\
&= \varepsilon_{ijk} \varepsilon_{jlm} A_{l}B_{m} \varepsilon_{knp} P_{n}Q_{p} \\
&= -\varepsilon_{jik} \varepsilon_{jlm} A_{l}B_{m} \varepsilon_{knp} P_{n}Q_{p} \\
&= -(\delta_{il}\delta_{km} - \delta_{im}\delta_{kl})A_{l}B_{m} \varepsilon_{knp} P_{n}Q_{p}\\
&= (-A_{i}B_{k} + A_{k}B_{i}) \varepsilon_{knp} P_{n}Q_{p}\\
&= -A_{i} \varepsilon_{knp} B_{k}P_{n}Q_{p} + B_{i} \varepsilon_{knp} A_{k}P_{n}Q_{p} \\
&= (-A[B,P,Q] + B[A,P,Q])_{i}
\end{align*}
[/tex]

Does that look right? All these indices are confusing me.

My advice was terrible, the work looks good to me though for what it's worth. :)

That looks good, Clever-Name. Seeing as this is a GR book, though, I hope they quickly get away from the idea of [itex]A \wedge B[/itex] being a vector, because when you get to 3+1D it absolutely will not be. It's going to be a two-index antisymmetric tensor representing the plane that the two vectors span. For now, however, working in 3D, you seem to have the correct grasp of what you're being taught.

Indices are a pain, which is why I try never to deal with them. (It's actually a good exercise to work this problem without indices at all.)

Great! Thanks for the input! The book isn't very good at explaining the process, I'll have my work cut out for me this summer I guess :/

It may or may not be helpful to consider that index notation is often just a shorthand for components where the basis vectors are left out, but if you put the basis vectors back in, you can reconnect a lot of index notation back to traditional vector algebra that you already know. For instance,

[tex]A \cdot B = A_i B_j (\vec e_i \cdot \vec e_j) = A_i B_j \delta_{ij} = A_i B_i[/tex]

That's a trivial example, of course, but sometimes it's helpful for realizing where Kronecker deltas are Levi-Civitas may end up popping into give you the freedom to cut down on some indices.

Related to GR - Trying to grasp index notation (Levi Civita)

1. What is index notation in the context of GR?

Index notation, also known as Einstein notation, is a mathematical notation used in General Relativity (GR) to express equations in a more compact and concise form. It uses indices as subscripts and superscripts to indicate the components of tensors and their operations.

2. What is the Levi-Civita symbol and how is it used in GR?

The Levi-Civita symbol, also known as the permutation symbol, is a mathematical symbol used to represent the orientation of a coordinate system. In GR, it is used to define the components of tensors and to perform operations such as differentiation and integration.

3. How do I raise and lower indices in index notation?

Indices can be raised and lowered in index notation by using the metric tensor, which defines the inner product between vectors. To raise an index, the metric tensor is used to "raise" the index to the upper position. To lower an index, the inverse metric tensor is used to "lower" the index to the lower position.

4. What is the significance of the summation convention in index notation?

The summation convention, also known as Einstein's summation convention, states that when an index appears twice in a term, once as a subscript and once as a superscript, it implies summation over all possible values of that index. This allows for a more concise representation of equations in index notation.

5. How is the Levi-Civita symbol used in the calculation of the determinant of a matrix?

The Levi-Civita symbol is used in the calculation of the determinant of a matrix by first expressing the matrix as a sum of products of its elements and the Levi-Civita symbol. Then, using the properties of the Levi-Civita symbol, the determinant can be simplified and calculated. In GR, the determinant of the metric tensor is used in the calculation of the curvature tensor.