GR: Quick Q, conservation energy, stuck on algebra

In summary: If it's the second then you need to use the fact that a=constant, so a'=0.In summary, the conversation discusses deriving equations for a dust-dominated FRW metric universe using the conservation of energy-momentum tensor. The equations relevant to the problem are stated and the last equation is discussed. The last equation is derived by substituting the result from the conservation equation and using the fact that pressure is equal to zero for dust.
binbagsss
I'm stuck on deriving the follow. Context: FRW Metric, dust dominated universe, use of conservation of energy-momentum tensor. I'll now state all the equations I can see are relevant. (But just in case the source is http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/9712019.pdf and it's eq 8.43).

## \frac{d}{dt}(\rho a^{3}) = a^{3}(\dot{\rho}+3\rho\frac{\dot{a}}{a}) = -3pa^{2}\dot{a} ##, and it's the last equation I am stuck on. I am getting it to be ## -3 \rho a^{2}\dot{a} ##...

2. Homework Equations :

## 0 = \bigtriangledown_{a}T^{a}_{0}=-\partial_{0}\rho=3\frac{\dot{a}}{a}(\rho +p) ## [1]

and using ##p=w\rho ##
this becomes:

##\frac{dot{\rho}}{\rho}=-3(1+w)\frac{\dot{a}}{a}##, [2]
where for dust w takes the value 0.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So I believe the last equality comes from [1], and for dust we have P=0, which is why I get ## -3 \rho a^{2}\dot{a} ##. (the second equality I can see is just differetiating).

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
binbagsss said:
I'm stuck on deriving the follow. Context: FRW Metric, dust dominated universe, use of conservation of energy-momentum tensor. I'll now state all the equations I can see are relevant. (But just in case the source is http://arxiv.org/pdf/gr-qc/9712019.pdf and it's eq 8.43).

## \frac{d}{dt}(\rho a^{3}) = a^{3}(\dot{\rho}+3\rho\frac{\dot{a}}{a}) = -3pa^{2}\dot{a} ##, and it's the last equation I am stuck on. I am getting it to be ## -3 \rho a^{2}\dot{a} ##...

2. Homework Equations :

## 0 = \bigtriangledown_{a}T^{a}_{0}=-\partial_{0}\rho=3\frac{\dot{a}}{a}(\rho +p) ## [1]

and using ##p=w\rho ##
this becomes:

##\frac{dot{\rho}}{\rho}=-3(1+w)\frac{\dot{a}}{a}##, [2]
where for dust w takes the value 0.

3. The Attempt at a Solution

So I believe the last equality comes from [1], and for dust we have P=0, which is why I get ## -3 \rho a^{2}\dot{a} ##. (the second equality I can see is just differetiating).

Thanks in advance.

I really don't see what you are stuck on. ## \frac{d}{dt}(\rho a^{3})## is not the same thing as ##\frac{d}{dt}(\rho)##. Which one do you want in the case p=0? If it's the first just substitute the result from [1] into the expression for ## \frac{d}{dt}(\rho a^{3})##.

Last edited:

Related to GR: Quick Q, conservation energy, stuck on algebra

1. What is GR in terms of physics?

GR stands for General Relativity, which is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein. It describes how massive objects interact with each other and how they affect the fabric of space and time.

2. How is conservation of energy related to GR?

In GR, energy is not conserved in the traditional sense. Instead, the theory states that energy is conserved in a more general sense, known as the conservation of energy-momentum. This means that the total energy and momentum of a system remains constant, but they can be transferred and transformed into different forms.

3. Can you give an example of conservation of energy in GR?

One example of conservation of energy-momentum in GR is the bending of light by massive objects, such as stars or galaxies. The gravitational pull of these objects causes the light to follow a curved path, but the total energy and momentum of the light remains constant.

4. How can I apply GR to solve algebraic equations?

GR involves complex mathematical equations and concepts, so it is not typically used to solve algebraic equations. However, understanding the principles of GR can help in solving physics problems that involve energy, momentum, and gravitational forces.

5. I am stuck on solving a GR problem involving energy conservation. What should I do?

If you are stuck on a problem involving energy conservation in GR, it is important to review the principles and equations of the theory. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor, or consult online resources and textbooks for further explanation and examples.