GR in Newtonian Limit: Understanding Weak Fields & Inequalities

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof in A first course in General Relativity by Schutz, which states that for a weak gravitational field and assuming ##\Lambda = 0##, we have ##\Box \bar{h}^{\mu \nu} = -16\pi T^{\mu \nu}##. The conversation then focuses on the inequality ##|T^{00}|>>|T^{0i}|>>|T^{ij}|## and how it implies ##|\bar{h}^{00}|>>|\bar{h}^{0i}|>>|\bar{h}^{ij}|##. The explanation given is that without a source, the solution for ##\bar{h}^{0
Silviu
Hello! I am reading A first course in General Relativity by Schutz and at a point he proves that for a weak gravitational field and assuming ##\Lambda = 0## we have ##\Box \bar{h}^{\mu \nu} = -16\pi T^{\mu \nu}##. Leaving the notations aside, he says that for a weak gravitational field (and non-relativistic speeds) we have ##|T^{00|}>>|T^{0i}|>>|T^{ij}|## and this implies ##|\bar{h}^{00}|>>|\bar{h}^{0i}|>>|\bar{h}^{ij}|##. Can someone explain to me why do we have this last inequality? This is Chapter 8.3 in the second edition. Like for example, taking ##T^{0i}=0##, we get ##\Box\bar{h}^{0i}=0##. Why does this implies in any way that ##\bar{h}^{0i}## is very small? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
The right-hand side is the source term. Without a source, your solution is identically ##\bar h^{0i} = 0## (assuming homogeneous boundary conditions).

Orodruin said:
The right-hand side is the source term. Without a source, your solution is identically ##\bar h^{0i} = 0## (assuming homogeneous boundary conditions).
Sorry I am a bit confused, if ##\bar{h}^{0i}## is a constant, doesn't the equality still holds?

If it is a constant it does not satisfy homogenous boundary conditions. Also, you could just absorb it into the zeroth order metric.

Related to GR in Newtonian Limit: Understanding Weak Fields & Inequalities

1. What is the Newtonian limit in general relativity?

The Newtonian limit in general relativity refers to the approximation of Einstein's field equations in the presence of a weak gravitational field. It is a special case where the effects of gravity are small and can be described using Newton's law of gravitation.

2. What is the significance of understanding weak fields in general relativity?

Understanding weak fields in general relativity is crucial for several reasons. It allows us to make accurate predictions about the behavior of objects in the presence of a weak gravitational field, such as in our solar system. It also serves as a starting point for more complex calculations in stronger gravitational fields, such as those near black holes.

3. What are the main differences between the Newtonian and general relativity theories?

The main difference between the two theories lies in their description of gravity. Newton's theory of gravitation is based on the concept of a gravitational force acting between masses, while general relativity describes gravity as the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

4. What are the inequalities in the Newtonian limit of general relativity?

The most well-known inequality in the Newtonian limit of general relativity is the gravitational time dilation, which states that time passes at different rates in different gravitational fields. Another important inequality is the gravitational redshift, which describes how the wavelength of light changes as it moves through a gravitational field.

5. How is the Newtonian limit used in practical applications?

The Newtonian limit is used in various practical applications, such as in the design of space missions and satellites. It is also used in the field of geodesy, which studies the shape and gravitational field of the Earth. Additionally, the Newtonian limit is used in the field of cosmology to study the large-scale structure of the universe.