Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Got pets?

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I thought it might be fun if we shared pics and stories about the little critters in our lives.

Here are my little ninjas:

Alex:

alex.jpg

Alex is scared of her own shadow it seems, and the only person she has willingly let touch her is me. The vets and their assistants are the only others. She was born not breathing and I had to give her mouth-to-mouth to get her to breathe. She also had to be hand-fed when weaning time came as she refused to willingly make the transition to solid food when their mother deemed it was time. Most of the time I am online, she is in my lap.

Newton:

newton.jpg

Newton is fearless and friendly. Odd how two cats from the same litter can be so different that way. She opened her eyes first, walked first and escaped the box that served as their nursery first. So, since she saw further than the others, I named her Newton. She sometimes acts as a surrogate mother to Alex, grooming her, much to Alex's contentment. I have to lock her out of my bedroom when I sleep, or else she will get rowdy and knock things over, and generally make it impossible for me to sleep.

Alex and Newton had a brother, Tiger, but he disappeared a few years ago:

tiger.jpg

He was also very friendly and curious, and had the most beautiful orange eyes. I miss him quite a bit.

Last edited:

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
I have three pets myself. I have a dog named Brutus. He is a miniature schnauzer. He is prone to bladder stones, so he needs prescription dogfood to raise the pH in his urine. He is also diabetic, so I need to give him an insulin shot twice a day. As a result of him being diabetic is that he is blind.

I have a pet cat named Boots. She was a stray that took a liking to me and she has been a member of my family for some time now. She loves to have her neck and belly scratched!

I also have a pet cockatiel named Barney. He is getting rather old, and I have had him for a long time.

Bacterius

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
We have a ludicrous number of cats (19 cats, and 11 kittens), here are my favorite:

nf1fte.jpg
2s0z1j9.jpg

Sorry for the horrible quality, my phone sucks :(

My cats are quite the savage type, they only show up to eat and play with me. They rarely go inside anymore but that's because we don't let them, they make too much of a mess... I love them all though.

The cat in the first picture is a male called "Doudou" (generic french term, could be loosely translated as "softy"). He is frightened of basically everything, the only person he'll let come close is me.

The second picture features another cat, female, "Poilue" (again, french for "fluffy") and, well, she is very fluffy :) and enjoys being around humans.

Last edited:

topsquark

MHB Math Helper
Aug 30, 2012
Well, I have this six foot tall invisible rabbit named Harvey. Here's a pic:

(If he looks funny it's because he's not that photogenic.)

And yes, I'm stretching for this one. Hint: It's a BW movie from 1950.

I would love to have kitties and puppies. But I don't even trust myself to regularly water my plants. (Cries)

-Dan

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I have three pets myself. I have a dog named Brutus. He is a miniature schnauzer. He is prone to bladder stones, so he needs prescription dogfood to raise the pH in his urine. He is also diabetic, so I need to give him an insulin shot twice a day. As a result of him being diabetic is that he is blind...

I have a pet cat named Boots. She was a stray that took a liking to me and she has been a member of my family for some time now. She loves to have her neck and belly scratched!

I also have a pet cockatiel named Barney. He is getting rather old, and I have had him for a long time.
Hey, I know where you are coming from...

Years ago, I had a St. Bernard that was the son of two dogs I also owned. That poor guy (Shubert) suffered from grand mal seizures and required constant medications, which unfortunately did not solve his problems. He was prescribed Potassium Bromide, which I understand had some limited success in the early 20th century with human sufferers of epilepsy.

This poor dog continued to suffer from seizures which were obviously destroying his motor nervous system...each one was more devastating that the last, and he eventually lost continence and the ability to walk...at the age of 7. I made the grave decision to put him out of his misery. RIP, Shubert. When he was a healthy puppy about the age of 1, he could run like the wind...and it was hard to see him barely able to walk.

Brutus is a lucky dog to have a caring person like you in his life, and I am sure you feel lucky to have him in your life. Kudos to you for being such a caregiver!

We have a ludicrous number of cats (19 cats, and 11 kittens), here are my favorite:

View attachment 578
View attachment 579

Sorry for the horrible quality, my phone sucks :(

My cats are quite the savage type, they only show up to eat and play with me. They rarely go inside anymore but that's because we don't let them, they make too much of a mess... I love them all though.

The cat in the first picture is a male called "Doudou" (generic french term, could be loosely translated as "softy"). He is frightened of basically everything, the only person he'll let come close is me.

The second picture features another cat, female, "Poilue" (again, french for "fluffy") and, well, she is very fluffy :) and enjoys being around humans.
30 cats?!!? I can't even imagine having so many! Wow, I thought I had my hands full! Good for you, my friend! (Yes)

soroban

Feb 2, 2012

I have two cats. .(No one ever owns a cat.)

One is Madison, a 14-year-old Maine coon cat.
She is a beautiful longhaired lady, who loves
to cuddle and have her belly stroked. She has
a purr that is rivaled only by a happy lion.

The other is Lucy, a 3-year-old who looks and
acts like a kitten. .She is small and loves to
explore.. She treats everything as her personal
toy..My wife named her, but I call her Lucy-fur
for her mischievous personality.

. . $\begin{array}{c} \text{Dogs come when they are called.} \\ \text{Cats take a message and get back to you.} \\ \\ \\

\text{Dogs have owners.} \\ \text{Cats have staff.} \\ \\ \\

\text{Cats were once worshipped as gods.} \\ \text{They have never forgotten that.} \end{array}$

I have a doormat that says:

. . . . . . $\begin{array}{c}\text{It's really the cats' house.} \\ \text{We just pay the mortgage.} \end{array}$

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Here are a couple of my "other pets"

alane1994

Oct 16, 2012
We used to have peacocks in the woods behind my house. It sounds like old women dieing in the woods behind us.

• Admin

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Yes, they can be quite noisy, but I actually don't even notice it anymore.

The males have the annoying habit of trying to attack their own reflection...one of them did quite a bit of damage to a friend's chrome bumper (which I paid to have fixed), and got himself all bloody in the process.

mathmaniac

Mar 4, 2013
Do you have your own zoo,Mark?

Have anyone seen Hachicko:A Dog's Story....?

Oh,I forgot about the edit facility,Jameson...

Last edited:

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
Do you have your own zoo,Mark?
Haha, no I just have a pond on my property, and living in Florida, we naturally have alligators. I used to have quite a few domestic fowl, but got away from that when I found myself having to shoot raccoons to defend them. I hate killing anything.