Got accepted for MEXT scholarship, and I need some advice

In summary, Alejandro thanks everyone for their help in preparing for the MEXT scholarship exams and is happy to announce that he has been accepted and will be attending a Japanese university starting in April next year. He is feeling anxious about his lack of studying since receiving his results in August and wants to focus on Math and Physics in order to be fully prepared. He is seeking advice on managing his time and dealing with his anxiety, and plans to eat the entire Sears&Zemansky University physics book and finish Serge Lang's "Basic Mathematics" to improve his skills. He also mentions his English as a second language and apologizes for any mistakes. He is grateful for any advice and also plans to seek counseling for his anxiety.
Alejandro Ramos
Hello, my name is Alejandro. And I posted here a long time ago asking for some help in preparing for MEXT scholarship exams, and you guys helped me so much and I am really thankful. I am happy to inform that I have been the only one who cleared those exams out of the 40 or so applicants in my country and I got recommended and accepted by the ministry of education from Japan. And that I'm heading there in april next year, and going to complete my undergraduate degree over there.
The thing is, the first year (Starting april 2017) is sort of a preparation year. So they prepare you to take the entrance exams in march 2018, and since I'm aiming for really difficult universities (most of the nationals) I'd like to be 100% prepared.

Now, I am honestly having an anxiety attack, hence I'm writing this right now (also to thank the people who helped me). The reason being that I haven't studied ever since I got the results back in August, now I like to think that I had a really good level back then. That's why right now I'm panicking because I feel that I got really dumb, and lost most of the knowledge I had. So I want to study in the best way possible until I go to Japan, so that I can be 100% prepared for the level that expects me there.

I just basically want to focus on two things besides studying japanese, which are Math (I want to study again from pre-calc up to Math II-II) and Physics (Mechanics, Waves, Thermo, Electromagnetism, Optics, etc) because I seriously feel like my brain is empty right now.

I need advice on how to manage my time and how to approach this mountain I have yet again put in front of me because I don't want to embarrass myself once I go to Japan.

I'm sorry for asking for "handholding" but I seriously need some advice right now, or at least someone to chat to to relieve some of my stress.

My plan is basically to:
-Eat the entire Sears&Zemansky University physics book (and perfect my knowledge on the subjects)
-Finish Serge Lang's "Basic Mathematics" in order to polish my knowledge on math, and do Calculus and some number theory.

Thanks!
Any advice you would give me is welcome! Sorry again for this.

(Also to keep in mind, english is my second language and I'm studying and have studied in english this whole time, so excuse me if I made any mistakes on this post)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Alejandro Ramos said:
Hello, my name is Alejandro. And I posted here a long time ago asking for some help in preparing for MEXT scholarship exams, and you guys helped me so much and I am really thankful. I am happy to inform that I have been the only one who cleared those exams out of the 40 or so applicants in my country and I got recommended and accepted by the ministry of education from Japan. And that I'm heading there in april next year, and going to complete my undergraduate degree over there.
The thing is, the first year (Starting april 2017) is sort of a preparation year. So they prepare you to take the entrance exams in march 2018, and since I'm aiming for really difficult universities (most of the nationals) I'd like to be 100% prepared.

Now, I am honestly having an anxiety attack, hence I'm writing this right now (also to thank the people who helped me). The reason being that I haven't studied ever since I got the results back in August, now I like to think that I had a really good level back then. That's why right now I'm panicking because I feel that I got really dumb, and lost most of the knowledge I had. So I want to study in the best way possible until I go to Japan, so that I can be 100% prepared for the level that expects me there.

I just basically want to focus on two things besides studying japanese, which are Math (I want to study again from pre-calc up to Math II-II) and Physics (Mechanics, Waves, Thermo, Electromagnetism, Optics, etc) because I seriously feel like my brain is empty right now.

I need advice on how to manage my time and how to approach this mountain I have yet again put in front of me because I don't want to embarrass myself once I go to Japan.

I'm sorry for asking for "handholding" but I seriously need some advice right now, or at least someone to chat to to relieve some of my stress.

My plan is basically to:
-Eat the entire Sears&Zemansky University physics book (and perfect my knowledge on the subjects)
-Finish Serge Lang's "Basic Mathematics" in order to polish my knowledge on math, and do Calculus and some number theory.

Thanks!
Any advice you would give me is welcome! Sorry again for this.

(Also to keep in mind, english is my second language and I'm studying and have studied in english this whole time, so excuse me if I made any mistakes on this post)
Congratulations on the great performance and the honor. Well done! :smile:

Next, I'll leave the studying advice to others, but because I work in Health Care (part time in addition to my full-time Electrical Engineering R&D job), I think it could help you a lot if you talked to a counselor about this. It sounds like you are very smart and perform very well on exams, but sometimes experience moderate panic attacks. That is very treatable as a psychological condition (when it is at the light/moderate level), and you could benefit a lot from some of the techniques that the counselor can teach you.

You should feel good and confident about your amazing abilities, not worried. Enjoy your gifts, and make the most of them. It's time to get rid of the doubts in your abilities, and build on your wonderful gifts. Do-atashi-mahste. :biggrin:

Last edited:
Likes Alejandro Ramos
berkeman said:
Do-atashi-mahste. :biggrin:

Ganbare!

Likes berkeman and Alejandro Ramos
berkeman said:
Congratulations on the great performance and the honor. Well done! :smile:

Next, I'll leave the studying advice to others, but because I work in Health Care (part time in addition to my full-time Electrical Engineering R&D job), I think it could help you a lot if you talked to a counselor about this. It sounds like you are very smart and perform very well on exams, but sometimes experience moderate panic attacks. That is very treatable as a psychological condition (when it is at the light/moderate level), and you could benefit a lot at some of the techniques that the counselor can teach you.

You should feel good and confident about your amazing abilities, not worried. Enjoy your gifts, and make the most of them. It's time to get rid of the doubts in your abilities, and build on your wonderful gifts. Do-atashi-mahste. :biggrin:
Thanks a lot! I will see into going with a counselor :).

Related to Got accepted for MEXT scholarship, and I need some advice

1. What is the MEXT scholarship and how do I apply for it?

The MEXT (Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology) scholarship is a government-funded scholarship program for international students to study in Japan. The application process varies depending on your country of origin, but generally, you will need to apply through the Japanese embassy or consulate in your home country.

2. What are the eligibility criteria for the MEXT scholarship?

The eligibility criteria for the MEXT scholarship vary depending on the program you are applying for. However, some general requirements include having a strong academic background, being under a certain age (usually 35), and being in good health. It is also important to have a strong interest in Japanese culture and language.

3. What does the MEXT scholarship cover?

The MEXT scholarship covers tuition fees, a monthly allowance for living expenses, and a round-trip airfare to Japan. Some programs also offer additional benefits such as housing allowances and language training.

4. How competitive is the MEXT scholarship?

The MEXT scholarship is highly competitive, with a limited number of spots available for each program. It is important to have a strong academic background, a clear research plan, and a strong interest in Japanese culture and language to increase your chances of being selected.

5. What advice do you have for someone who has been accepted for the MEXT scholarship?

Congratulations on being accepted for the MEXT scholarship! My advice would be to start preparing for your move to Japan as soon as possible. This includes obtaining a student visa, researching the culture and customs of Japan, and learning some basic Japanese language skills. It is also important to stay organized and keep in touch with the scholarship organization for any updates or changes to your program.