How Does Viscosity Affect Water Flow Rate in a Draining Tank?

In summary, the conversation discusses the rate at which water flows out of a tank with a large area and a hole in the bottom. The solution involves using the formula Q= pi*r^4(p1-p2)/8L*viscosity and treating the water above the hole as a solid falling under gravity. The viscosity of the fluid can be found in a table of physical/chemical constants.
lovelylm1980
A tank of large area is filled with water to a depth of 0.6m. A hole of 6m^2 cross section in the bottom allows water to drain out in a continuous stream. What is the rate at which water flows out the tank in m^3/s?
This is how I figure the problem should be solved:
Q= pi*r^4(p1-p2)/8L*viscosity

Area= 6e-4m^2
h= 0.6m
P= rho*g*h= 1.00e3kg/m^3*9.8m/s^2*0.6m= 5880N/m^2
what I can't figure out is how do I get viscosity from the area

Physics news on Phys.org
Didn't you post this under a different forum?

You CAN'T get "viscosity" from area. Viscosity is a phyical property of the fluid itself. If you really needed it you should look up the viscosity is a table of physical/chemical constants.

However, I don't think that formula is what you want. The point of saying that this tank is "of very large area" is that as water drains the height of the water above the hole stays essentially the same. I would suggest treating the water above the hole as a solid falling under gravity. How much water will pass through the hole in unit time?

so do I use the formula Q=volume/time?

I believe I answered this question in the other forum. Look it up.

1. What is viscosity?

Viscosity is the measure of a fluid's resistance to flow. It is often described as the "thickness" or "stickiness" of a fluid.

2. How is viscosity measured?

Viscosity can be measured using a viscometer, which is a device that measures the time it takes for a fluid to flow through a specific tube or aperture. The longer it takes for the fluid to flow, the higher the viscosity.

3. What factors affect the viscosity of a fluid?

The viscosity of a fluid can be affected by temperature, pressure, and the composition or structure of the fluid. Generally, higher temperatures and lower pressures result in lower viscosity, while more complex or larger molecules can increase viscosity.

4. What are some common examples of fluids with high viscosity?

Liquids such as honey, motor oil, and molasses are known for their high viscosity. Some gases, such as tar and molten lava, also have high viscosity due to their high temperatures and dense composition.

5. How does viscosity impact the flow of a fluid?

High viscosity fluids flow more slowly and are more resistant to change in shape, while low viscosity fluids flow more easily and are less resistant to shape change. This can impact various processes, such as the movement of blood in the body or the efficiency of a lubricant.