Google Science Fair, guidance please

In summary, the Google Science Fair is an event where entrants are asked to do a project related to physics. There is no specific project that is required, but original research is desired. Age group is not specified, but it is recommended that people between the ages of 10 and 18 participate. Some advice on participating in a science fair is to look for something few people have done and investigate it further. Another suggestion is to look into technologies to protect classrooms from intruders or to help teachers with important tasks.
narayan.rocks
So i came to know about this GOOGLE SCIENCE FAIR couple of weeks ago and I am thinking about participating in it . I want to do a project related to physics . But i have no idea what they expect me to make . I am sure with my level of physics knowledge there is very less possibility that i will come up with something new .

So in these Science Fairs what do they expect us to do . Any guidance suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please specify your age group in which you are planing to participate.

For Sample Projects go to YouTube and search Google Science Fair. or the official Google Science Fair Web. and watch the Finalist's Project.

Do some research into past science fairs:

https://www.google.com/intl/en/events/sciencefair/index.html

see what areas are presented and what ones aren't and go from there.

Also if you're good with java and programming then you might check out the Open Source Physics website (www.compadre.org/osp) where you can get some libraries to do physics simulations.

From there you'd need to find something to simulate.

Science fairs are looking for original research so you must look for something few people have investigated and see if you can come up with something new. I know that may be hard at first but check around and see what you can find.

Another area is in robotics. Doing something novel and unique with drones would be a cool project. Maybe a drone programming language or drone library coupled with OSP.

Then there's LEGO mind storms, Arduino and Raspberry PI that could be used to come with cheap lab equipment for physics.

Look at some novel inventions for third world countries. The gravity light was something that caught my eye.

Sometimes its good to have a compelling backstory with your project. As an example, there was an American Invetor show where a fireman came out dressed in full gear. He presented a sad story about a Xmas tre catching fire and a family losing everything. This got him thinking of how to avoid the tragedy and he came up with the Xmas Angel, an ornament for the top of the tree connected to a pressurized water tank. At the first sign of fire, the heat would be detected and the water released to drench the tree.

With that in mind, how about technology to protect a classroom from intruders, automatically close the door when gunshots are heard... or technology for the teacher to protect the class other which is safe enough for grade school kids...

You may have other areas in your life where physics could be applied to solve some pressing problem. You just have to look around...

Related to Google Science Fair, guidance please

1. What is the Google Science Fair?

The Google Science Fair is an online science competition for students aged 13-18. It is an opportunity for students to showcase their innovative ideas and projects in science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) fields.

2. How can I participate in the Google Science Fair?

To participate in the Google Science Fair, students must first register on the official website. They can then create a project either individually or in a team of up to three members. The project must be submitted before the deadline and meet all the eligibility requirements.

3. What are the benefits of participating in the Google Science Fair?

Participating in the Google Science Fair can provide students with a platform to showcase their scientific skills and ideas. It also allows them to connect with mentors and experts in the STEM field, gain recognition and awards, and potentially have their project featured on the Google Science Fair website.

4. Can I submit any type of project to the Google Science Fair?

No, the Google Science Fair has specific guidelines and criteria for projects. They must fall under one of the following categories: environmental science, energy and space, health and well-being, technology and innovation, and science in action. Projects must also follow ethical guidelines and cannot be dangerous or harmful.

5. What resources are available to help me with my Google Science Fair project?

The Google Science Fair website provides helpful resources, including project ideas, tips for creating a successful project, and a virtual mentorship program where students can connect with experts in their field of interest. Additionally, students can also seek guidance from their teachers, parents, or local science organizations.