Find initial velocity using energy

In summary, the box slid across the floor with a coefficient of kinetic friction of 0.3. The friction force was -61.74J.
physics333
A 1.4 kg box slides 15m across the floor. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the floor is 0.3. I found that friction force in slowing the box was -61.74J. Is this right?

What was the initial velocity of the box?
I worked this problem using Kf = Ki + Wnc and found that Vo =9.4m/s. Is this right? Also I would like to know how to work this problem another way with Energy. Any help with what formula to use or any help at all will be great.

Physics news on Phys.org
You did it right. I don't know what you mean by working it another way with energy. The way you worked it is the way that involves energy: you used the work-energy theorem.

Would anyone else like to take a guess?

Well, this isn't an energy method but
μk=0.3 means that a=0.3g or about 2.94m/s2 so you could use that to get an answer. (9.39 m/s)

Originally posted by physics333
A 1.4 kg box slides 15m across the floor. The coefficient of kinetic friction between the box and the floor is 0.3. I found that friction force in slowing the box was -61.74J. Is this right?

force of friction = (0.3)(1.4)(9.8)
force of friction = 4.116N

energy lost to friction = Fd
energy loss to friction = (4.116)(15)
energy loss to friction = 61.74J

E = (1/2)mv^2
v^2 = 2E/m
v = sqrt(2E/m)
v = sqrt(2(61.74)/(1.4))
v = 9.39m/s

all work shown and it agrees with the previous guy's answer

Originally posted by physics333

You lose points for and incorrect number of significant digits.

Correct answer 62J
I worked this problem using Kf = Ki + Wnc and found that Vo =9.4m/s. Is this right? Also I would like to know how to work this problem another way with Energy. Any help with what formula to use or any help at all will be great.

Likewise other responders there is at most 2 good digits in the given information, you cannot give more then that in the answer. A nit picky detail but one you need to be aware of. The common use of calcultors for the most trivial of computations makes this sort of error very common.

Originally posted by Integral
You lose points for and incorrect number of significant digits.

Correct answer 62J

If you're going to nitpick, do so correctly. The coefficient of kinetic friction has only one significant digit.

If you are an engineer, you either have the number of digits the question gave or use 3; whichever is greater. If the number starts with a 1, you use at least 4. Angles are to be expressed to at least 2 decimal places.

Last edited:
Obviously I am not an engineer.

You know I looked right past that single digit in μ

Originally posted by NateTG
If you're going to nitpick, do so correctly. The coefficient of kinetic friction has only one significant digit.
Ouch!

- Warren

1. How do you find the initial velocity using energy?

The initial velocity can be found using the equation: vi = √(2E/m), where vi is the initial velocity, E is the energy, and m is the mass of the object.

2. What is the relationship between energy and initial velocity?

Energy and initial velocity are directly proportional. This means that as the energy of an object increases, its initial velocity also increases.

3. Can the initial velocity be negative when using energy to calculate it?

Yes, the initial velocity can be negative. This occurs when the object starts with a negative energy, such as when it is moving downwards due to gravity.

4. What units should be used for energy and mass when finding initial velocity?

Energy should be measured in joules (J) and mass should be measured in kilograms (kg) to find the initial velocity in meters per second (m/s).

5. Is the initial velocity calculated using energy always accurate?

The initial velocity calculated using energy is an approximation and may not be completely accurate due to factors such as air resistance and friction. However, it is a useful and commonly used method in many scientific applications.