Google Efficiency: Type "Failure" and Hit "I'm Feeling Lucky

• Thread starter El Hombre Invisible
  • Start date
In summary: But the whole thing brings up an interesting question. How many people go to the second page of google search results?In summary, a conversation about Google's efficiency and the use of the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button led to the discovery of Google bombs, where users manipulate search results for comedic or political purposes. The example of searching "failure" and clicking "I'm Feeling Lucky" results in the search engine providing the White House's biography of George W. Bush. Another example is searching "French Military Victories" and clicking "I'm Feeling Lucky" brings up a sarcastic page that says "Did you mean: French Military Defeats?". These results are caused by Google's rating system and not intentionally programmed by the website's
El Hombre Invisible
This is probably common knowledge and I'm just slow on the uptake, but to demonstrate Google's efficiency, go to www.google.co.uk , type in "failure" and hit the 'I'm Feeling Lucky' button.

That's what you want - a search engine that gets right to the point!

Disclaimer - I request no-one takes this thread in any way other than intended: for laughs!

Physics news on Phys.org
I've seen this before, but it was hilarious :D

Oh yeah, I've seen it before too.

Unfortunately, on the other side, if you put ass in google.co.uk and click I'm feeling lucky, you get something else

Don't you suppose the nerds who programmed the site did that on purpose?

Mental Gridlock said:
Don't you suppose the nerds who programmed the site did that on purpose?
No, it's the result of Google's rating system. There was a campaign among webmasters and bloggers to link to that page using the words "miserable failure".
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/3298443.stm"
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/09/09/google_bush_search/"

Last edited by a moderator:
They're called "google bombs"

That is too funny! :smile:

The other one to try (assuming it still works) is "French Military Victories"

Edit: It still works... read it carefully

enigma said:
:smile: :smile: :smile:

I typed in 'Physics' in the google search thing and came across the article on how Tommy Lee enjoys Physics. http://www.physicscentral.com/people/index.html

enigma said:
That's great.

enigma said:
That is far funnier. :smile: :smile: :smile:

We had a thread about this about a month agomaybe 2?)

Funny stuff

ya... the google bombs thread... that had loads of these things. and linked to some site that actually had a big fricken list. they're not as funny once you realize people delibrately do it.

I never really found them funny in the first place.

Related to Google Efficiency: Type "Failure" and Hit "I'm Feeling Lucky

1. What is "Google Efficiency"?

"Google Efficiency" refers to how effectively and quickly Google's search engine retrieves and displays results for a given query.

2. What does it mean to "type "Failure" and hit "I'm Feeling Lucky"?

This phrase is a playful way to search for information related to failure. By typing "Failure" into the search bar and clicking on the "I'm Feeling Lucky" button, you will be taken directly to the top result for that search term, instead of a list of search results.

3. Why is this considered a "Google Efficiency" test?

This is considered a "Google Efficiency" test because it showcases how quickly and accurately Google's search engine can retrieve and display the top result for a given query, in this case "Failure". It also demonstrates the use of the "I'm Feeling Lucky" feature, which can save time for users who are looking for a specific website or information.

4. Are there any other "Google Efficiency" tests?

Yes, there are many other "Google Efficiency" tests that people have come up with, such as typing in "Google Gravity" and clicking on "I'm Feeling Lucky" to see the search results fall down the page. These tests are not endorsed or created by Google, but are simply fun ways for users to test the capabilities of the search engine.

5. How does "Google Efficiency" affect my search experience?

"Google Efficiency" ultimately affects your search experience by providing you with quick and accurate results for your queries. The more efficient Google's search engine is, the faster and easier it will be for you to find the information you are looking for. By constantly improving its efficiency, Google strives to make the search experience as seamless and user-friendly as possible.